• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Books on nature photography? (1 Viewer)

There is the older first edition -a real book from the analogue era but difficult to find, or you can order a CD-book from the man himself, which is updated with reference to digital photography.

I'd say try:
"White Nature" by Vincent Munier
"The Essential Africa" by Michael Poliza
"Life" by Frans Lanting
and if you want something amazing but hard to get, any book by Nick Brandt.

The best there is is called "The Art of Bird Photography" by Arthur Morris.

There is the older first edition -a real book from the analogue era but difficult to find, or you can order a CD-book from the man himself, which is updated with reference to digital photography.

I've read some shining reviews of this guys writings; both the original and the digital, though I've not had the funds yet to add his to my collection.

I will say that for advice I would recommend the writings of both John Shaw and Joe McDonald. Far as I know neither has any newer (ie digital) books out in print (though I think John has one or two online books) but whilst their books are based on film the tips and ideas presented translate to digital easily and the other methods are all as solid then as they are now (with the exception of a few product names which will have upgraded and changed with the pass of time)

I quite liked Creative Bird Photography by Bill Coster - My review. He has some good tips and inspiring photos (but it's onlyu aimed at birds not all of nature.

Hey Kristoffer,

I sense you're interested in learning "light", "feeling", and "spirit"
3 outstanding photographers are:
Robert Rankin http://www.rankin.com.au/
Steve Parish http://www.steveparish.com.au/
The late, Peter Dombrovskis http://www.peterdombrovskis.com/

Their websites can be pretty hard work, and the quality of pictures on them somehow doesn't do anywhere near justice to the published work, but they know what they're talking about and how to convey it.
Particularly see Rankin's "Wilderness light"; Parish is excellent for birds, and Dombrovskis is a legend (his photo Morning Mist, Rock Island Bend, Franklin River, Tasmania, 1979 was instrumental in saving the wild franklin river from being 'damned' - a famous Australian conservation battle back in the '80's)

All the best - Chosun

For long, long time.............. the earth - she cry....
now, the children - they cry too....
All terribly, terribly sad....

The OP posted his question in March 2010 and has posted on BF umpteen (precisely 236) times since then, so he obviously isn't interested in your answers, folks - don't waste your time.

Last edited:
Such is not always the case since oft times people will ask questions and forget to say thanks when on the net. Furthermore our answers can help each other as well as the OP ;) Since the thread is back again from the grave no sense in wasting the space and potential to gleen some tips of good reads off each other.

Digital Macro Photography by Ross Hoddinott was a good read and worth getting if you can find it cheap on Amazon, etc.

I now have Understanding Close Up Photography by Peterson to read soon and will let you know if it is any good.

I have half a shelf of photo books (digital and film), and two of my favorites are:

Rob Sheppard. "The Magic of Digital Nature Photpgraphy".
Steve & Ann Toon. "Wlidlife Phptography".

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back