• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do I need more ISO to get sharper photo? (1 Viewer)

Point taken and of course good technique is essential at slow shutter speeds. I've managed sharp shots at 1/40 of a second but still think 1/20 is very impressive.

By todays standards 20th is impressive, unfortunately people who have grown up with tv remotes could never imagine having to actually "get up" to turn over!

I shoot at 15th often at 200/300 mm, (the pic of the owl IS VERY GOOD), but then there are also other things that count.

Years ago when I shot at Bisley, .22 target, .177 target air (Camberley rifle and pistol club) and match, you learnt to breath and control your stance/breathing and pulse (that came with practice), all of which helps in photography.

Also look at archers how they can hold drawn bow without shaking, photography is he same, take some advice from an old photographer....

Turn off your IS, AF and go manual on apateur and speed and "re learn" photography once in a while.

Here is a tip, if you have a long lens, DON'T raise it up to your eye and shoot, raise it to your eye but the end of the lens pointing to the sky, SLOWLY lower the lend to the target, you will find that way you have a steadier shot, watch an archer or shooter, they raise the bow gun above the target and lower it, never up to the target and no higher because your arms tend to drop automatically.

Last edited:
This is what we were doing thirty years ago, all simple techniques that were learnt when there was no such thing as IS, and we used 500mm f8 lenses.

I've been shooting for at least that long. Started with a Pentax my Dad brought back from Vietnam and a 200mm lens. Technique, and understanding how f-stop and shutter speed affect the image is key.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back