• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Letham Pools question (1 Viewer)

Gander

I am looking at going to Letham Pools as I've read quite a lot of good reports about this spot. Can anyone advise on where best to park? I've checked it out on Google Earth, and the only roads/tracks into the area appear to be gated.

You just park on the minor road (at the Letham junction) which separates the two pools and view from there. It`s a quiet, straight stretch of road with good visibility, so shouldn`t cause any problems. There are a couple of places where you can pull your nearside wheels onto the verge, but watch you don't end up in the ditch!

Gander, I think you might be looking at next door (usually referred to as Mountcastle Quarry). The pools themselves don't show on Google Earth but are on the right hand side of the main road if you are coming from Dundee (or left if you are coming from Ladybank). The road that cuts through the middle of the two flooded fields is one arm of a crossroads - the opposite arm takes you into Letham. When you see lots of water surrounded by vegetation and bisected by a fence on your right hand side, take the next turn on the right. View from the road (side). A scope is handy to have as a lot of the smaller waders etc can be across the far side and hard to make out with only binoculars.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back