• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost and Found!...Xmas '17 on Fuerteventura (1 Viewer)

Nice report. Having only spend a day on the island a few years ago to get the Chat you have put thoughts in our head that perhaps we should do a week there and do it justice

If you don't need to be by the sea, the friendly and comfortable Casa Vieja rural hotel in La Oliva has Fuerteventura Chat, Laughing Dove, African Collared Dove plus most of the usual Fuertevetura species within a few minutes walk. Also handy for Tindaya Pain (if you have a car), which is probably the best place on the island these days for Houbara and CCC. Definitely worth booking a car before you go.

Nice report Ken.
It's a good read. Some food for thought there as Caroline is hinting that we need to have Christmas away next year.
Some great finds especially the CCC and Little Bunting. Your images just get better and better.
Mike.

Nice report Ken.
It's a good read. Some food for thought there as Caroline is hinting that we need to have Christmas away next year.
Some great finds especially the CCC and Little Bunting. Your images just get better and better.
Mike.

Thanks Mike. I was not the finder of the Little Buntings, a bloody good find by whoever though? Had I stumbled into them (5!!)...I'd have still been in shock!

Yes it's a great place to get "lost in".....I think you know what I mean. :t:

Cheers

Ken

Last edited:
Super report, Ken, it might answer our quest for an escape from the festive season. Can you and Houbara2 offer me any hope that, as a paid up member of the Bah Humbug brigade, we might miss some of the forced jollity? The inland hotel looks interesting but, as we've not visited the island before, there's still lots of research to be done - so any more clues are welcomed. Thanks again for a thread that's given us a lot to think about.

Super report, Ken, it might answer our quest for an escape from the festive season. Can you and Houbara2 offer me any hope that, as a paid up member of the Bah Humbug brigade, we might miss some of the forced jollity? The inland hotel looks interesting but, as we've not visited the island before, there's still lots of research to be done - so any more clues are welcomed. Thanks again for a thread that's given us a lot to think about.

dragnil Hi, I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the "relative" lack of enforced jollity on the island. Caleta del Fuste is a fairly conservative resort (10 minute transfer from the airport) and it's not difficult to find "space-a-plenty". Pre- booked car hire is advisable as the island is a relatively small affair, with a good road system...with "no hedgerows" to spoil the view.:eek!: I've only ever stayed at three hotels within the resort and my preference has always been to "self find" birds, thus am not too concerned with "special sites". Hope you enjoy any visit in the future, and that you don't find too many "grippers". ;)

Am more than happy to answer (if I can) any more specific concerns that you may have.

Cheers

Thanks, Ken, lots of reading to be done but it does look interesting. We're like you, I think, keen to see the birds but if we miss some then it's an excuse to return. I'll probably have questions and come back for help.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back