• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron confusion (1 Viewer)

Let me know how you find it compared to the ES80 - I'll be keen to know. One day when the premium bonds come up!

scampo said:
Gosh I wish I could say typically a waxwing! (I know what you mean). At least you were able to identify it. They seem to be around a few counties at present but so far not in Leicestershire. We had them a few years ago so I have high hopes.
Waxwings seem to be in abundance on the East coast of Scotland and in lesser numbers elsewhere in the East recently. It seems a bit early from my records, so probably nearer the end of December quite a few more could arrive and probably will head westwards in search of sustinance. It's possible that it may be a good year to see 'em! But!!!

Craven

Indeed the waxwings do seem to be in early this winter so lets hope that lots more follow on.

First day out with the new scope was quite test - very poor light conditions but it performed very well. Was out with friends with Kowa and Opticron scopes and the Leica certainly had the edge. Had a flock of linnet on a distant wire - firm ID was only possible through the Leica. Add on to that the fact that I got hen harrier and bittern and it was a very pleasing day.

My day out was to Cley - which is always a good place to start.

The Opticron scope was a 60mm but I'm not sure which one (failed to look). Sharp eyes certainly helped but the others agreed that the scope made a difference.

I have also tried the scope side by side with my ES80 and in the poor conditions the difference was apparent. That said on I tried them ok and average kinda day last week and there was little to choose between them.

I'm convinced - one day... It does seem to be the best value top scope. Just the weight is a problem, maybe?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back