• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Camcorder? (1 Viewer)

BobTag

Hi All,

I want to get a Camcorder for birding use.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could let me know which the current best camcorders to use are? I'd seen the Sony DCR-PC330 (which looks like the replacement for the PC120??), but am I missing anything?

Also, which set-up would people recommend for easy birding: connection to my 'scope, or use with an EagleEye 5x lense.

All help gratefully received,

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben

The sony PC 120 is a trusted camcorder to digscope with most common makes of scopes, i have not met any body yet who has tried the Sony PC330 out, the obvious difference is the memory still shot facility 3 mill pix to 1.5 mill pix

Eagle 5x lens is ok but is limited, but i would seriously look at the Eagleeye 10X lens which attaches to your scope and the takes the place of your zoom or fixed scope eye piece, this would be a better all round solution, allowing you to take close footage as well as distant footage

hope this helps

Paul

Bamiller_birder said:
Hi All,

I want to get a Camcorder for birding use.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could let me know which the current best camcorders to use are? I'd seen the Sony DCR-PC330 (which looks like the replacement for the PC120??), but am I missing anything?

Also, which set-up would people recommend for easy birding: connection to my 'scope, or use with an EagleEye 5x lense.

All help gratefully received,

Thanks,

Ben

You should be able to get some birds without the scope with most video cameras. They actually work quite well when walking and having to quickly shoot when you spot something even wothout tripod. At you have a record then. Many have autofocus, which with birds and trees is a bit of a disaster at times. Good battery life essential.

Welcome to Birdforum,Ben from the Moderators and Admin staff.
I see you've already got some Camcorder advice and good luck with your recording.

Thanks very much to everyone who welcomed me & responded to my first message.

I took the plunge and ordered a PC330, with a very good reduction through Pixmania.com. It arrived yesterday (great service, recommended!). I've had my first play today, filming some of our many local Red Kites.

When I've had chance to like it all up to my PC I'll some back and post some images...

Thanks again!

Ben

Pc-330

I had (almost) decided to get the PC330, not just for birding reasons but also as a replacement for a long-in-the -tooth but well used early Sony DCR - posts on this forum have convinced me to go for it - thanks.

Question for Ben - did you go for the Eagle eye 10X pr 5X and any comments/suggestions?

PS - my first post on this forum so apologies if I have not hit the right keys!

Hi Ben
Within your budget, get the the smallest camcorder with the largest optical zoom and largest ccd for stills. View the specs on the camcorders on warehouseexpress.com or pixmania .co.uk. When you have made your choice go to priceguideuk.com or co.uk for the best deal. try and get more than 10x optical!
Good luck

Ben- I own a PC-330. I bought it for its single-frame time-lapse capabilities, which are flawless and hard to find in a camcorder. I also used it briefly to video barn owls through a telescope. This nice little camera would be better if it had 3 CCD's and didn't load tape from the bottom (remove from tripod to load... fooey). Those are my only 2 complaints.

Some of my owl shots are at www.barnowls.com, but they were taken with a Sony TRV900 (3 CCD).

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back