• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B&L Elite 8x50 (1 Viewer)

zurtfox

Hi,

Looking for something bright for twilight and late evening, I came across a pair of B&L Elite 8x50 roof prisms which are both waterproof and nitrogen filled. Not cheap (£650), there seems to be a lack of information about them in the UK (Vickers, the importers, know nothing of them). So I guess this is a question for our friends in the USofA where they seem to be more popular. So...

Has anyone any practical experience of these binos? Are they really as good as http://www.kikkertspesialisten.no/pdf/test8x40.pdf seem to think ("best 8x binocular we have tested - robust and compact)? They even (according to the test) outperform Ultravids and ELs (but don't focus as closely).

Any information will be most welcome.

Thanks.

Chris.

Chris, Although at first glance it may look like a roof prism bin the 8X50 Elite is actually a porro with the offset between the eyepieces and objectives aligned more vertically than usual. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if it is optically superior to the roof prism 8X42 Elite. Unfortunately the apparent field is very narrow at about 49 degrees, which is the only reason I haven't tried to find a pair to check out. Henry

Last edited:
pduxon said:
Chris

the 8x42 got tonked in Birdwatching but then they aren't austro/german are they check out this review on BVD of the 8x42 http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Elite.html

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the input. I used to own, and was very happy with, a pair of 8x42 Elites until they were 'removed' from my car. After much searching, testing and comparing, they were replaced with a pair of Nikon 8x32 HGs which, AFAIAC, are the bee's knees. It is just that at twilight and later (especially these light summer evenings) I am looking for something brighter. Not being prepared to pay for a pair of 7x42 Ultravids, I was considering their Trinovid equivalent at nearly a couple of hundred pounds less. I have now discovered these Elite 8x50 porros which are so well reviewed in kikkertest but almost unheard of in the UK, hence my question being directed across the pond where they are more common.

Chris

Oops!

Although at first glance it may look like a roof prism bin the 8X50 Elite is actually a porro

Henry,

I'm sorry, I meant porro, but my brain got in the way!

Unfortunately the apparent field is very narrow at about 49 degrees, which is the only reason I haven't tried to find a pair to check out

The FoV is the one drawback (on paper) at 107m @ 1km, certainly not on a par with the 130-140m of the top binos, but I will be checking them out on Sunday, with a hope that it doesn't appear too tunnel-like.

Chris

Chris, I'll be interested to read your impressions, particularly about FOV and edge of field sharpness. The narrow field might be OK if sharpness is good at the edge.These binoculars have intrigued me because they are unique among large porros in having closely spaced objectives comparable to roof designs and (judging from photos) an internal focusing mechanism. Henry

8x50 Elites Compared

[QUOTE/Henry]I'll be interested to read your impressions, particularly about FOV and edge of field sharpness. The narrow field might be OK if sharpness is good at the edge.[/QUOTE]

Henry,

After a prolonged delay, I finally got a good look at the 8x50 Elites today, and also made a studied comparison with Swaro 7x42 SLCs and Zeiss 7x42 bgats (although old and damaged). I also had with me my Nikon 8x32 HGs.

Wow! The brilliance, sharpness, colour, and contrast beat anything I have ever seen! Optically they are fantastic due, in part, to the fact that they are porros rather than roofs. Edge sharpness was very good, almost the equal of my HGs and there was no distortion of vertical or horizontal lines. Depth of field was only surpassed by the Zeiss. They have all the benefits of roofs (waterproof, nitrogen filled, smooth, internal focusing) BUT (and there had to be one [or more], didn't there?)...

The fov of 330ft @ 1,000 yds/107m @ 1km gives a definite tunnel-like view. I thought they were 800 gm but when we weighed them they tipped the scales at 950 gm. The balance (for me) was all wrong, eyepiece end biassed. Couple that with an inability to comfortably slot my right thumb into the underside depression and at the same time reach the focus wheel with my index finger, and it meant that (again, for me) the ergonomics were all wrong.

I spent a long time in darkened room (unlocked!) and found their brightness and colour transmission in poor light much better than either the Swaro or Zeiss.

It is such a shame, I was so impressed with the optics I almost, almost, bought them anyway! But my reason for wanting the brightest optics possible is because I spend a lot of evenings watching local wildlife, often until it is almost too dark to see, where a wide fov coupled with the brightest image is important to help pick up movement with peripheral vision.

Although the 7X42 SLCs are a good second-best option, I guess I will have to wait for the Zeiss FLs to appear before I make my final decision.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the excellent review. I expected the narrow field to be a problem, but I'm sorry to hear the ergonomics are also.

A lot of us seem to be waiting for the FLs.

Henry

B&L 8x50 elite

zurtfox said:
[QUOTE/Henry]I'll be interested to read your impressions, particularly about FOV and edge of field sharpness. The narrow field might be OK if sharpness is good at the edge.

Henry,

After a prolonged delay, I finally got a good look at the 8x50 Elites today, and also made a studied comparison with Swaro 7x42 SLCs and Zeiss 7x42 bgats (although old and damaged). I also had with me my Nikon 8x32 HGs.

Wow! The brilliance, sharpness, colour, and contrast beat anything I have ever seen! Optically they are fantastic due, in part, to the fact that they are porros rather than roofs. Edge sharpness was very good, almost the equal of my HGs and there was no distortion of vertical or horizontal lines. Depth of field was only surpassed by the Zeiss. They have all the benefits of roofs (waterproof, nitrogen filled, smooth, internal focusing) BUT (and there had to be one [or more], didn't there?)...

The fov of 330ft @ 1,000 yds/107m @ 1km gives a definite tunnel-like view. I thought they were 800 gm but when we weighed them they tipped the scales at 950 gm. The balance (for me) was all wrong, eyepiece end biassed. Couple that with an inability to comfortably slot my right thumb into the underside depression and at the same time reach the focus wheel with my index finger, and it meant that (again, for me) the ergonomics were all wrong.

I spent a long time in darkened room (unlocked!) and found their brightness and colour transmission in poor light much better than either the Swaro or Zeiss.

It is such a shame, I was so impressed with the optics I almost, almost, bought them anyway! But my reason for wanting the brightest optics possible is because I spend a lot of evenings watching local wildlife, often until it is almost too dark to see, where a wide fov coupled with the brightest image is important to help pick up movement with peripheral vision.

Although the 7X42 SLCs are a good second-best option, I guess I will have to wait for the Zeiss FLs to appear before I make my final decision.

Hope that helps.

Chris[/QUOTE

Hi
The B&L 8x50s take some getting used to, but once you've found the best way of holding them (they are unlike any other binocular!) the image is as steady as a normal 7x binocular. It's worth persevering. Compared with my nikon 8x32 SE, the fov is noticeably narrower (though I wouldn't say tunnel like), but the image is crisper and brighter, and the colours more vivid, especially in low light. They are heavier than most x42 binoculars, but not bad for an armoured, waterproof X50. If you want the ultimate in optical quality, especially for twilight, they're the one to go for (and warehouse express had a pair for £299 in their bargain section - date now 2nd feb - last time I looked!)
Jem

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back