• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus OM-D EM-1 (1 Viewer)

Which is not really high given that this camera should be 1-2 stops better than mine (GH2) and I have set mine to auto iso maxing out at 3200.

Niels

Thanks Mick. The HLD-7 grip and MMF-3 adapter arrived the other day. The E-M1 certainly looks the part, mounted on the grip with the 50-200 SWD lens attached. All I need now is the time and weather to get out and find some birds to photograph.

I hope yours turns up before too long.

Ron

Thanks Mick. The HLD-7 grip and MMF-3 adapter arrived the other day. The E-M1 certainly looks the part, mounted on the grip with the 50-200 SWD lens attached. All I need now is the time and weather to get out and find some birds to photograph.

I hope yours turns up before too long.

Ron

Hello Ron.

congratulation on your new great those shots are so fantastic.

good luck with your old lens, but maybe you need to upgrade its firm wear.

another thing did you notice that there is an internal TC in the camera, which means you can use your 75-300mm lens to be 600mm, that is 1200mm on the full frame.

Thanks Duha. I am really enjoying the new camera, although I haven't had a lot of time to take photos recently. I have been playing with the digital teleconverter and it looks promising. I think the main problem will be holding the camera steady, although the IBIS is very impressive.

It was a bright and sunny day today, so I took the camera to work and spent my lunch break at the local seafront. I eventually found the resident Turnstones and managed to get a few shots. The sun was very bright and I think I should have used a bit more negative exposure compensation. However, I am quite pleased with the results.

I am very impressed with the 75-300 II and it is so easy to carry, compared to the 50-200. The camera is a delight to use, now that I am getting used to all the controls and the viewfinder is stunning.

Ron

Attachments

• Turnstone on pier 3 small.jpg
    Turnstone on pier 3 small.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 399
  • Turnstone on pier 2 small.jpg
    Turnstone on pier 2 small.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 360
  • Turnstone on pier 1 small.jpg
    Turnstone on pier 1 small.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Thanks Duha. I am really enjoying the new camera, although I haven't had a lot of time to take photos recently. I have been playing with the digital teleconverter and it looks promising. I think the main problem will be holding the camera steady, although the IBIS is very impressive.

It was a bright and sunny day today, so I took the camera to work and spent my lunch break at the local seafront. I eventually found the resident Turnstones and managed to get a few shots. The sun was very bright and I think I should have used a bit more negative exposure compensation. However, I am quite pleased with the results.

I am very impressed with the 75-300 II and it is so easy to carry, compared to the 50-200. The camera is a delight to use, now that I am getting used to all the controls and the viewfinder is stunning.

Ron

again those are really wonderful shots.

about the IBIS i find it very little effect with my Lumix both with the EPL1 and the EPL5, but they say that the new Olympus 75-300mm is much more improved also for video recording.

my Lumix is dying and is giving me hard time now, it just freezes and would not focus at all, even when i turn it to MF also from the camera. and then after a while that could be few mints or even half an hour it get back to working normally, that is so frustrating in many times.

glad you showed those pictures with the Oly, as i was looking for any gallery in flicker or google+ for any bird fotographer who use it. because i need to replace the Lumix.

another question what is the lowest ISO value in the OM D1.

DPReview just finished reviewing Canon D70. EM1 got one point higher score and for example was better in AF and Metering accuracy.

Niels

I tried the E-M1 with my 50-200 SWD and EC-14 converter for the first time today and spent about half-an-hour photographing the House Sparrows on my garden fence.

The lens focuses quickly, although it is not quite as lightning-fast at the M4/3 75-300. Once it has established a focus it is usually accurate. Looking at the shots which I took it is important to focus on the bird's bill or eyes, as the DOF is so shallow. It has the advantage over the 75-300 that it is splash proof, like the camera, and the maximum aperture at full zoom is 4.9 rather than 6.7 on the 75-300 SWD. However it is much heavier to carry about all day and is much bigger and less discreet.

These are JPEGs, straight from the camera, just cropped and resized for web use.

Ron

Attachments

• EC-14 Sparrow 1.jpg
    EC-14 Sparrow 1.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 333
  • EC-14 Sparrow 2.jpg
    EC-14 Sparrow 2.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 347
  • EC-14 Sparrow 3.jpg
    EC-14 Sparrow 3.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 294
  • EC-14 Sparrow 4.jpg
    EC-14 Sparrow 4.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 253
  • EC-14 Sparrow 5.jpg
    EC-14 Sparrow 5.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 270
Lovely shots! Now for the 300mm f4 prime micro 4/3 lens!

I am still not convinced that is the lens I really want. How about a 150-450 mm? I would be fine with it maxing out at f5.6 so that it wouldn't be quite as heavy as the 50-200 Ron was playing with. [or maybe it would, I am no expert on that type of calculations ...]

Nice shots by the way :t:

Niels

I am still not convinced that is the lens I really want. How about a 150-450 mm? I would be fine with it maxing out at f5.6 so that it wouldn't be quite as heavy as the 50-200 Ron was playing with. [or maybe it would, I am no expert on that type of calculations ...]

Niels

One of the main criticisms of the original 4/3rds system was that the small size of the sensor hadn't really produced a more compact system to match. I do hope that Olympus won't make the same mistake again with the micro 4/3rds system. The E-M1 is already starting to catch up with the lighter APS-C bodies - though the E-M5 is a little small for larger hands - so they must stick to the small sizes for the lens line-up.

A 350mm F6.3 (+ optional dedicated 1.4x converter) with close focussing around 1m, collapsible for carrying around, with a tripod socket and a decent lenshood included weighing in under 500gms would be useful (there's always the big 4/3rds 300mm F2.8 for anyone who wants a fast aperture 'monster' to stand next to the big boys with their 500/600mm F4s!).

I tried the E-M1 with my 50-200 SWD and EC-14 converter for the first time today and spent about half-an-hour photographing the House Sparrows on my garden fence.

The lens focuses quickly, although it is not quite as lightning-fast at the M4/3 75-300. Once it has established a focus it is usually accurate. Looking at the shots which I took it is important to focus on the bird's bill or eyes, as the DOF is so shallow. It has the advantage over the 75-300 that it is splash proof, like the camera, and the maximum aperture at full zoom is 4.9 rather than 6.7 on the 75-300 SWD. However it is much heavier to carry about all day and is much bigger and less discreet.

These are JPEGs, straight from the camera, just cropped and resized for web use.

Ron

Ron,

The EM-1 looks very interesting to me. I am curious to know how it performs in two areas:

1) photos of birds in flight, and

2) fill-flash in open sunlight

Have you had a chance to experiment with either of these functions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Ron,

The EM-1 looks very interesting to me. I am curious to know how it performs in two areas:

1) photos of birds in flight, and

2) fill-flash in open sunlight

Have you had a chance to experiment with either of these functions?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Hi Jonathan. I haven't really tried photographing birds in flight yet, as I haven't been able to get out much recently. From what I have gleaned from the Olympus E-System forum, the Continuous AF is better than the E-M5 but not quite as good as the Canon 7D. The best results seem to come from using Single AF and continually half pressing the shutter button to keep the bird in focus before taking the shot. The focusing with M4/3 lenses is so fast that this should work well.

The E-M1 doesn't have a built-in flash but comes with a separate small flash unit. Once again I haven't really had a chance to use it yet. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ron

Hi Jonathan. I haven't really tried photographing birds in flight yet, as I haven't been able to get out much recently. From what I have gleaned from the Olympus E-System forum, the Continuous AF is better than the E-M5 but not quite as good as the Canon 7D. The best results seem to come from using Single AF and continually half pressing the shutter button to keep the bird in focus before taking the shot. The focusing with M4/3 lenses is so fast that this should work well.

The E-M1 doesn't have a built-in flash but comes with a separate small flash unit. Once again I haven't really had a chance to use it yet. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ron

Thanks, Ron. I'll explore some of the comments in that forum. Do post some BIF shots if/when you have a chance. I have been using G3 with 100-300 for two years. BIF photos have been mixed, but this is a great crossover combo for birds and insects, and I often carry it on long hikes, when the compact size and light weight are ideal.

Jonathan

again those are really wonderful shots.

about the IBIS i find it very little effect with my Lumix both with the EPL1 and the EPL5, but they say that the new Olympus 75-300mm is much more improved also for video recording.

my Lumix is dying and is giving me hard time now, it just freezes and would not focus at all, even when i turn it to MF also from the camera. and then after a while that could be few mints or even half an hour it get back to working normally, that is so frustrating in many times.

glad you showed those pictures with the Oly, as i was looking for any gallery in flicker or google+ for any bird fotographer who use it. because i need to replace the Lumix.

another question what is the lowest ISO value in the OM D1.

Hi Doux and others
I've only just come across this thread (I think I must have been half asleep recently!). Anyway, Doux, I was interested to hear your Panasonic 100-300mm is dying. I have had 2 100-300mm lenses and both have developed the same problem - dust inside the lens barrel, which ultimately effects the focusing system. Panasonic replaced the first one under warranty and are saying they won't replace this second lens (only 1 year old) because it's just over 2 years since the original purchase. Essentially, there seems to be some weakness in the lens barrel seals, which, in my experience, breakdown over time. Anyway, I am now looking to replace/upgrade my system.

The new Olympus looks very appealing, Ron. Am I right in thinking you could use a Canon 300mm f4 prime on it with an adapter? Would the AF still work?

Also, Doux, it's good to hear the Olympus 75-300mm m4/3 is better these days as I may well go for that. I cannot afford another Panasonic 100-300mm which only lasts 8 months.

Hobbes

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back