• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron 60 mm MM3! (1 Viewer)

Sorry for the delay in replying. Things have been busy on my end.

I did not get a chance to compare the two. The Hawke was not represented at the show that I was at.

As for Opticron bringing out a 70 mm, I cannot say. They are pretty tight-lipped about new products until shortly before they officially debut. I wouldn't be surprised though I would think it would depend on how well the 60 mm model has sold since its debut. I think a 70 mm might be slightly redundant and would hope for at least a 75 mm if they weren't going for something notably larger (in objective size) than the 60 mm model. Just my opinion.
Frank,

Thank you very much for your reply and I do appreciate your comments. Understand perfectly about being busy actually felt a bit bad chasing you. It will be interesting to see what/if Opticron bring out next. The MM3 range is nearly starting to overlap their other ranges e.g. the HR range.

To an extent I can see where you are coming from with your last comment. I think the focus with the MM3 series is to make the product as light and compact as possible without sacrificing a specific level of image quality. The HR range has a more sophisticated objective design to help correct aberrations and distortions plus, I would guess, the overall construction is more rugged (metal housing versus a polycarbonate?).

So when the specs state the eyepiece range to be 15-45.... how true is that on the upper scale? How close to 45 do you feel this scope gets you in terms of pretty good light etc.

Frank...you digiscope with the 50 or 60? In may experience digiscoping needs to have some solid light and as I look at your digiscoping shots, they seem good. But what difficulties are you experiencing when digiscoping with either the 50 or 60? jim

Jim,

I digiscope with the 50 mm. I only had the 60 mm model for review purposes.

Keep in mind that my comments refer to using a phone as your digiscoping camera.....

As for challenges...it depends on what your expectations are. If you are just looking to use digiscoping for documentary purposes then I don't really see any issues. If you are shooting for more of the artistic, beautiful photo side of things then the limitations basically boil down to the objective diameter of the scope and/or the subsequent magnification range utilized based on the scope's focal length. I say most of these comments in relation to the 50 mm but they can somewhat also be applied to the 60 mm as well (in comparison to an 80 mm or larger scope).

The two difficulties I have run into are the increased level of noise associated with using a smaller diameter objective lens scope in less than perfect lighting conditions. It can be fairly obvious at times and less obvious in others.

Second, the relatively short focal length, again in comparison to an 80 mm+ scope, means that you need to be relatively close to the subject in order to get highly detailed pics. Again, there are a variety of factors that affect this not the least of which being the size of the subject.

To answer your PM too, the shoulder stock is a Stedi-stock. I have included a picture I just took with the scope attached. B and H Photo, for example, sells them for an inepensive price. As you can tell, my scope is angle which works out fine for digiscoping with my Iphone.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4kObcxO6lxkahBT-9bTPIKO5oUvMXzrFDAxoCEZ_w_wcB

Attachments

• scopestock.jpg
    scopestock.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 197
I thought of using the Stedi stock with a straight scope and see how it goes in the field walking around ...no digiscoping. I am guessing that it would still be helpful to lean against a tree or fence post etc. since anything with a power of 12 or more is not great handheld. But no pictures, just viewing. I am thinking that idea would not work with an angled scope.

I am hoping that the Cape May folks have one of these in one of their stores so I can play with it but I won't be able to make my way down until Friday or perhaps next week. So still just thinking all here. jim

Jim,

The straight scopes are probably more conducive to the Stedi-stock setup but I haven't had any issue with using the angled model with it...both for just regular observational use and for digiscoping.

It does work "better" if you can lean on something but I can still hold it steady enough without leaning to pull sufficient detail. The extra contact points on your body (above just handholding it) make it a possible setup.

It would seem that purchasing the 60mm with the SDL, while it is more costly (USD $1038 with SDL and 60mm)...might be worth it in the long run. From what I understand, the HDF is not waterproof while the SDL is, so given that you want waterproofing for a reason, it stands to reason that it is best that the eyepiece is also waterproof.

Now...if you use the SDL, what magnification range will be had? The same as the HDF and how much of that is really usable? 40mm?

Does anyone suspect the integrity of the threads that the eyepiece screws into?

Also, from what I understand, (and I can't remember what this is called) but using the HDF the eyepiece needs to be refocused once you change magnification while the SDL will not...correct?

I am still debating on whether to get the 60mm (with SDL) or the HR66 with SDL. Every hour is a different revelation.....I know I have chatted with Pete numerous times as well pm'ing Frank, so thanks to both of you for your help.... jim

The word is parfocal.

I have not had any problems with the threads on the MM3 50 mms over the last year and have interchanged eyepiece many times.

Hope this helps.

What difference does the MM3 60 optically have to the IS 60R ED, as their prices are almost similar? Weight and close focus are less on the MM3 but how does image differ?

Ries,

The MM3 is a noticeable step-up in optical performance in my opinion. CA is exceptionally well controlled in the MM3 and the contrast level is notably better in my opinion. The image seems much more lifelike.

Also, not sure what prices are in your area but there is a significant difference in price in the US. The MM3 60 typically goes for $819 on the shelf (MSRP $899) while the IS 60 R ED has an MSRP of $699....a $200 difference.

Last edited:
Mind I'm talking about the new IS 60R, not the just discontinued IS WP series...not much info on that new one yet. That new one (+zoom EP) I find for GBP 450, while MM3+zoom EP on the same site (Uttings) is GBP 508...sure a bit difference but not that much. Seems to wait for user review of that new IS 60R ED.

What difference does the MM3 60 optically have to the IS 60R ED, as their prices are almost similar? Weight and close focus are less on the MM3 but how does image differ?

Opticron themselves offered an answer: even when upgrading the IS R with a HDF/SDLv2 eyepiece, brightness and colour contrast are less than the MM3's.

Ries,

My comments were in reference to the newest version of the IS 60 ED. I had a chance to compare them late last year.

I didnt know the MM3 60 was so pricey..that is almost twice the price of something like the celestron regal and in the fieldscope ED III and kowa 603 and 663 territory,if not more expensive ¡¡

Does anyone know where you can purchase just the scope? i have a HR66 with the latest eye-piece but wouldn't mind having the mm3 60 scope strictly for travel and just take along my eyepiece from the 66.... Ideas? jim

Hello
Just contact Opticron directly, here in the USA she will direct you to a retailer that will sell you just the scope, with no need to buy and eye-piece

http://opticronusa.com/
Contact Us

Address: Opticron LLC, 16501-D Northcross Drive, Huntersville, NC 28078

Phone: (704) 895 3046 (Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm EST)

Fax: (704) 895 3047

Email: [email protected]
PS: She will be able to tell if the eye-piece you have will work with the MM3/60 scope. But I would check with her before making the purchase. She is very help full, I personally have contacted her three times with different questions.

Hope this helps :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back