• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor Scope User - should I give up? (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

Now, I'm about to make a confession. I have a scope, but it rarely gets used as I much prefer using my image-stabilised binoculars. However, the major reason is that whenever I try to use it I just have so many problems.

I have an Opticron scope and a Velbon tripod; I also have a hide clamp, but that's another story.

My main problem is that I fix my scope to the quick release plate and then insert it into the shoe of the tripod head. I have tightened up the qr plate screw as much as I can. Then, within seconds, there is a huge amount of play in the connection and the scope will now wobble from side to side, as well as vertically. As you can imagine, this makes keeping an image stable, or even in the scope view, well-nigh impossible; and as for focussing...! Oh for a stable image. When I use the hide clamp I connect the scope directly to the head and that is nice and firm. The problem here is that the central column to which the scope is attached has to rotate to allow panning of the scope; this action undoes the tightness of the screwfit and introduces wobble into the whole procedure again.

The result is that I rarely take the scope out, but when I do make the effort I want to throw the whole lot out of the hide window in frustration. Do I ditch everything and invest in new equipment or what? I would like to sort it as this autumn I am going on my first ever organised foreign bird trip and I feel that a scope will be invaluable.

Any tips for a frustrated and totally useless scope user?

I can sympathise, but I'm not sure I can help.

Sometimes it can feel like you are lugging a piece of furniture around the countryside. I've never wanted to throw mine out of a hide window: only into a river. Even then I'd like to drive over it first, repeatedly, before throwing it in.

Best tip I've seen is to put a cable tie on the end of the telescope for quickly getting a bird into view (this absolutely works wonders).

I also have a Velbon tripod (Sherpa 200r). Occasionaly the tripod-head undoes itself where it's wound onto the central column: I think gentle tightening with mole grips should fix it. Are you sure the wobble isn't coming from this area and not the quick release plate?

Last edited:
If it's the screwthreads just becoming loose it must be a solveable issue - perhaps the thread and bit it screws into aren't quite the right size for each other?

One thing I have heard of is using eg clear nail varnish on the tiny screws holding glasses arms in place - but they aren't designed for removal all the time. Maybe there is a product on the market?

I have a Velbon tripod which I stopped using because of excessive 'play' in the tripod itself. As for the plate you can use glue to fix the screw and the plate in position - you're not using it otherwise so nothing to lose by 'fixing' it.

Rob, I have a Velbon 200R tripod with the PH-157Q head it came with and a hefty Celestron Regal F-ED 80 mounted on it. This works well with no slop at all. When your scope is on the head are you slackening off the handle to allow horizontal and vertical movement? If you don't the head will undo from the tripod when you pan the scope to the left. If you are doing it properly everything should be good.
I bought a second hand Delta Carbon tripod very cheap with a PH-157Q attached, it was hopeless, slopped about all over the place because the head was worn out. I pulled it to bits but nothing could be done to save it, so I just kept the black locking clip and the mounting plate and ditched the rest.
Maybe your head is worn out?

Do you ever go to a good, reputable optics dealer in person? that person might be able to look at your equipment and tell you where it is going wrong. The other option is if you are out somewhere with other birders where there would be talking time - use that to mention your problems and someone hopefully will offer to take a look.

Niels

Joe -

"Best tip I've seen is to put a cable tie on the end of the telescope for quickly getting a bird into view (this absolutely works wonders)."

Can you elaborate on this please? Thanks |:S|

Sounds like a problem with your tripod. I think it would be worth your while trying out a few other makes/models. I have had a lot of success with Slik but there are of course other brands that would serve just as well.

Sounds to me like you've stripped the thread of either the screw (try a different shoe) or the internal thread on the scope. Take it to a decent optics shop and show them.

Rob - if you can let us know where you are in the Birmingham area we can point you to an Opticron dealer that you can take your scope, tripod, hide mount etc to and they'll figure what you need to do and if there's anything else you need to get you sorted.

You certainly shouldn't be having the kind of troubles you report with an Opticron or any other scope for that matter!

If you prefer, you can call the office on 01582 726522 and ask to speak to Sarah or Stuart in the technical service department for advice over the phone.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Most scopes have an additional hole in front or behind the mount thread to insert what is called a video pin..this pin prevents the scope to rotate on the plate and unscrew with the frecuent movement that video or spotting use call for .This pin is sometimes dettachable and gets lost,but its really a must for the proper use of a video head..if its lost,anything can be inserted there,,a suitable sized screw or pin should be easy to find in your odds and ends drawer.
Does your plate /scope combo have this feature?..Also,maybe the quick plate you are using has a hard surface or has lost the , frecuently used, rubber surface..If this is the case, you can place a piece of rubber,maybe from an old inner tube, to increase both the pressure and the friction ,also helping to keep the plate in place...

Last edited:
Most scopes have an additional hole in front or behind the mount thread to insert what is called a video pin..this pin prevents the scope to rotate on the plate and unscrew with the frecuent movement that video or spotting use call for .This pin is sometimes dettachable and gets lost,but its really a must for the proper use of a video head..if its lost,anything can be inserted there,,a suitable sized screw or pin should be easy to find in your odds and ends drawer.
Does your plate /scope combo have this feature?..Also,maybe the quick plate you are using has a hard surface or has lost the , frecuently used, rubber surface..If this is the case, you can place a piece of rubber,maybe from an old inner tube, to increase both the pressure and the friction ,also helping to keep the plate in place...

I've had a look and that pin is missing....I'll give that a try too. Many thanks.

Rob

Right. My tripod is a Velbon with the PH 157Q head. This has a QB 157 plate. Now, this plate has a second hole for the pin mentioned above; interestingly, having just looked online Cameraking sell the QB 157 but this one does not have the second hole!

The plate you are looking for is the QB-157N, this has the additional pin - it works a treat with my Kowa scope.

New quick release plate has arrived, and it doesn't fit. Second pin is too close.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure? Video pin sizes and distances are standard, and shouldn't even be affected by using 1/4 versus 3/8 inch main screw. But I have seen novices have trouble mounting them on their scope the first time, because the angles have to be just right since the distance is exact. I think the key to success is to back the main screw out all the way, then mount the plate flush against the tripod foot (with the video pin inserted into the appropriate hole, assuming your scope foot has one; all Opticron scopes that I've seen do), then, while holding the plate flush, screw the main screw into the threaded socket.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back