• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planning a bicycle trip through the Cairngorms (1 Viewer)

Sharpshin

Greeting all from San Antonio TX.

A bucket list trip for me coming up (at age 59). I grew up in Blackpool, left in '69, have hardly been back to the British Isles since.

For those not familiar, serious mileage can be covered quite easily on a bicycle, my last trip was 2,000 miles Texas to New York in 33 days. My anticipated pace in the UK is 50 miles/day (I averaged 65 miles/day to New York, all you have to do is just loaf along on a bicycle all day).

Leaving from Blackpool around June 22nd I will have the next 42 days to spend on a bicycle. By the following week I expect to be in the Cairngorms.

Target species in the Cairngorms include capercaillie, ptarmigan, snow bunting, crested tit, dotterel and purple sandpiper.

Time is a factor, by about the 3rd of July I would like to be on the Isle of Coll for corn crakes. The 140 miles between Aviemore and the ferry at Oban via the Culloden Battlefield could easily take three days.

(After Coll I plan 100 miles down the Kintyre Peninsula to the Ulster ferry at Cambeltown, from there across Ireland to the west coast).

Any suggestions for a generally south to north route through the Cairngorms that would lift me up to some serious altitude would be appreciated. My bike is geared low enough such that hills are no obstacle. I will be equipped to stay and to sleep out without services as necessary, however my loaded road bike will not handle unimproved dirt trails well.

Likewise any suggestions as to ski lifts, hikes etc I could take to good habitat are appreciated.

Finally, while services/showers etc are good things, I can potentially stop for the night most anywhere. Any good campsite suggestions are welcome.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Mike

OK, what I have so far from browsing around.....

No roads paved through the middle of the Cairngorms it would seem, just around the east side or else towards the west through Braemar/Ballater/Cock Bridge. However from what I gather even the Cock Bridge route does not cross high enough to lift me into the tundra zone.

Best access to the Alpine Zone is by hiking uphill from Achlean ten miles south of Freshiebridge or again by hiking uphill from the parking lot of the Cairngorm Mountain Snowsports Center.

One drawback is I will be on a road bicycle loaded with gear. Looking ahead, are there any safe places to leave this unattended in these locations?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike,

I'm a birding cyclist based in Aberdeen - I know the Cairngorms pretty well.

You're correct - no true high altitude roads. The Cockbridge Road is a spectacular ride taking you up past the Lecht Ski Centre into Moray, but you won't see the mountain species without a massive hike from there.

Probably your best option is to ride to Cairngorm Mountain car park. There is a Rangers office there with very friendly staff - maybe they could keep an eye on your bike? You can hike up onto the Cairngorm-Ben Macdui plateau from there where Ptarmigan, Dotterel and Snow Bunting are relatively easy. In Scotland Purple Sandpiper is a tiny outlying breeding population and you probably wont see one. Although the mountains are relatively low (by US standards), weather can be severe and changeable even in summer so gear up appropriately and be able to navigate in poor visibility.

On the road back to Aviemore there is a lovely wooded campsite at Colyumbridge. I have seen Crested Tit in this area and it is a nice walk or ride to Loch an Eilein which is a noted site for them. It's pretty difficult to see Capercaillie in summer, but walking in the extensive Rothiemurchus Forest between here and the mountains would give you a chance.

I hope this helps. Feel free to get in touch for more information. And most of all, enjoy your trip, sounds like a belter!

Regards,

Phil

Check out this for related interest - Biking Birder 2015

A long, long time ago I did the Lands End to John O'Groats thing (charity cycle ride from the SW to NE of the UK); we found the long sweeping rises in Scotland much easier to cope with and Scotland easier to cycle than much of the rest of England perhaps.

Good luck and enjoy.

I've only just found this, hope I'm in time....

If you are starting from down South and want a cycle up to somewhere you can get Ptarmigan, then you should go via Blairgowrie and Braemar (and after that over the Cockbridge road to Speyside).

From Blairgowrie the road ascends ultimately to the Glenshee Ski Centre which has a large car park and may possibly be able to look after your bike or at least your luggage. The hills above the ski centre are accessible by the Cairnwell chairlift if it is running, walk if not, and have breeding Ptarmigan right by the top of the chairlift: I mean within a few yards usually. Mountain Hares up there as well, and Ring Ouzels.

After that you can freewheel all the way to Braemar.

Hope that helps.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back