• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going To Tummel (1 Viewer)

Skirge

Blind Birder
Hi we will be spending the last week of March in Tummel does anyone have advice on locations ? Well will 100% be visiting The Loch Of The Lowes and The Pitlochry Fish ladder.
Seeing an Osprey tke a fish is a beauty I have yet to witness, if I can photograph the event I will die a happy man.

Last edited:
Hi, (don't know your name)
For many years ospreys have fished at Butterstone Loch near Loch of The Lowes. It may be possible to arrange access here.
Also near Tummel is the Killiekrankie reserve just past Pitlochry, but late March will be too early for migrants.
The Black Wood of Rannoch is close by, with a chance of seeing some pinewood specialities.
Very close to Tummel is the Hermitage, and there used to be nesting dippers to the side of the main falls.
There are some parking areas on the A9 past the Hermitage which are well know spots for displaying goshawks, and you might be in luck in late March.
Best regards,
Mark

Hi Skirge

Mark has basically covered the main spots and my thoughts. What you will find will very much depend if we're still in winter, or if spring has arrived. But Ospreys should be in situ and paired up unless the winds have been wrong for their migration. Short-eared Owls will likely be back on the moors and a good place to try is the top of Moulin Moor, just east of Pitlochry, plenty of parking places to pull in to and scan from.

The Birks of Aberfeldy is maybe worth a short walk too, for Dippers and maybe Grey Wagtail. Not sure where "Toon" is, so don't know what you will normally see in your area.

The National Trust Reserve can be accessed either from the visitor centre near Killiecrankie, or from the car park at Gary Bridge (you need to pay either way!). Though this is a really lovely walk, it is best for summer visitors but you could hit lucky with some early arrivals.

You will find Ospreys on most lochs and they fish in the rivers too.

If the weather allows, go right to the end of the road to Rannoch Station, taking your time to view. Possibility of Golden Eagles and returning waders (Golden Plover, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Ringed Plover, Curlew etc breed on some of the moorland) and divers pass through on their way to the north-west coast, resting up on the lochs for a day or two. And of course there's the chance of both Red and Black Grouse

Return via the little road on the south side of Loch Rannoch.

Most of all, enjoy the scenery!;)

Hi thank you both for the great information, "Toon" = Newcastle :D

I can't wait to get up there, not really been out with camera since Spain In August :(

It seems to be such a great area for birding, happy to just hit the hills and walk too and see what appears, its it has feathers or fur its getting photographed.

Cheers Kris

There is a Red Kite feeding station at Argaty Farm a wee bit south is Tummel and they occasionally get White-tailed Eagles there too.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back