• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Jackdaw, what ssp Helmsdale, Scotland Feb 17 2018 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Does anyone know which subspecies of Western Jackdaw this is? Seen in Helmsdale on the 17th Feb this year, I have never seen one with such light shoulders before.

Thanks very much

Attachments

• ARD_4450.JPG
    ARD_4450.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 89
Thanks Bobbitworm.
The only reference I can find for these refer to the nominate Corvus monedula monedula which according to the Collins are short range migrants in the north. It goes on to say that in Scandanavia, the nominate is somewhat intermediate to subspecies soemmerringii (which I have seen in northeastern Germany) and the spermologus (which I saw in Bulgaria). This bird seems to lack any kind of collar and has a Nutcrackeresque spotting to the chest and lighter shoulders.

Last edited:
On further research, I think I could be a very pale soemmerringii as they have the lighter shoulders, or have some of that ssp in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back