• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

calling norwich birders (1 Viewer)

fishingruddy

hi, in the summer i am going on holiday to caister in great yarmouth. hopefully we can get away from the family to go bird watching, i would especially lilke to see bearded tits and a marsh harrier. does anyone know where i should go?
fishingruddy

fishingruddy said:
hi, in the summer i am going on holiday to caister in great yarmouth. hopefully we can get away from the family to go bird watching, i would especially lilke to see bearded tits and a marsh harrier. does anyone know where i should go?
fishingruddy

hickling hickling hickling!!!!

hickling broad is all you need,also best place to see swallow tail butterflies
and look out for common lizards running across the boredwalks.

strumpshaw fen would also be good for marsh harriers,if you havent seen them within ten minutes of being here then you are doing something very wrong indeed!

both of these sites may also produce an osprey

matt

Last edited:
fishingruddy said:
fishingruddy
great yarmouth is not that far from minsmere just go straight down the A12 you will definately see marsh harriers and i have seen bearded tit there a few times its well worth a visit

PaulE said:
great yarmouth is not that far from minsmere just go straight down the A12 you will definately see marsh harriers and i have seen bearded tit there a few times its well worth a visit
Totally agree, if at Gt Yarmouth you must visit Minsmere. About 40 minutes drive if things haven't altered too much since my last visit. Nowadays the reserve is open on a Tuesday (Hurrah), my first visit was on a Tuesday back in 84' boy was I p****d off. Get there early as the car parks fill up with shop visitors.

crikey minsmere is ,miles away ... horsey mill is 7 miles from Caister

head up the coast through Winterton and then drive slowly along the Horsey Rd - you're unlikely to miss the harriers there, might see some cranes too if you're lucky. Horsey Dunes and the Warren are also worth a wander

good area to explore by bicycle too

matt green said:
hickling hickling hickling!!!!

hickling broad is all you need,also best place to see swallow tail butterflies
and look out for common lizards running across the boredwalks.

strumpshaw fen would also be good for marsh harriers,if you havent seen them within ten minutes of being here then you are doing something very wrong indeed!

both of these sites may also produce an osprey

matt

Thanks matt

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back