• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (33 Viewers)

If anyone needs Spotted Fly for the year (or month or day!) and you're in the Coltishall area, give the War Memorial opposite the Recruiting Sergeant PH a go for a while...

James

No strange raptors, today

A walk out to Burnham Overy Dunes, which I began wearing a fleecy shirt in coolish conditions and ended in a T-shirt (as the weather had changed to sultry), produced a solitary Green Sandpiper as the only bird of note. (And please note the position of the capital letters for that bird.)

However, there were quite a few Dark Green Fritillaries, an obliging Small Tortoiseshell and this moth (help!).

There were so many people out along the sea-wall, it'll be completely eroded by the end of the summer. Fewer of us will be venturing overseas in the present economic climate and will be taking our holidays in the UK.

Attachments

• P1080867#002.jpg
    P1080867#002.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P1080837#002.jpg
    P1080837#002.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 44
  • P1080849#002.jpg
    P1080849#002.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 74
Shelling out for an ID

Thanks 'Reader' and Mike for this.

Wading through Waring & Townsend is a soul-destroying task for a non-expert. So many of these things look almost exactly the same.

Cley last night produced a peregrine, little gull, 3 ruf, a couple of little ringed plovers and a green sandpiper. Six wood sands had been seen flying over earlier along with a whimbrel, more green sands and a greenshank

11 spoonbills there was not a reserve record - there were 17 back in the 1940s. Six flying over a hunting barn owl was a combination I hadn't seen before though.

Gordon

Titchwell June 29th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 6 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 7 on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit - 40 on fresh marsh
Knot - 2000 roosting on fresh marsh over high tide
Red crested pochard - female with 5 young on grazing marsh pool
Marsh tit - 1 on feeders
Cuckoo - 1 calling in reedbed
Bittern - 1 in flight several times over reedbed

Paul

Skuas and Orchids!

Hi all, Just one quick question when does sea migration start in Norfolk like Skua’s, Shearwaters etc…

Hi Robert!
Generally speaking, Skua passage starts in August on the North Coast....
Where did you see the Marsh Helleborines? They used to be a feature of Wells Dell, but seem to have disappeared.

Choseley Barns

Wished I'd known about the bee-eater at 15.00 as we were passing through Kings Lynn on our way back home, from a long weekend in North Norfolk.
However these two yellow wags were a nice surprise just off the path, north of the barns, at Choseley this morning.
Best
Mick
B :)

Attachments

• Z11Wagtail yellow 2 Chosely Barns Norfolk 290609129062009.jpg
    Z11Wagtail yellow 2 Chosely Barns Norfolk 290609129062009.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Z11Wagtail yellow Chosely Barns Norfolk 290609129062009.jpg
    Z11Wagtail yellow Chosely Barns Norfolk 290609129062009.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Sunday 28th June - morning - Holme

Redwell Marsh Hide - 2 Cuckoos flew over the path leading to the hide, 2 Ruff, 1 Wood sandpiper, ruddy duck with young, 2 redshanks, barn owl hunting, 1 kestrel and tons of black headed gulls.

NOA carpark - Cettis Warbler.

PM - work:-C

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Got home from work - shattered, fell asleep until 7.30pm - cooked tea and got massively into the tennis - could hear mobile ringing and ringing..... did not answer as did not want to be interrupted from Andy Murrey's very tense match! Mobile kept ringing, must be important - looked at 'missed calls' - 'Connor' OMG! looked very quickly at pager - BEE EATER 8.25pm, Back Lane, Pott Row!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Flew upstairs, threw top over slob dress I was wearing, grabbed bins, scope and camera - flew up the road to arrive at Back Lane in Pott Row, near Roydon to see Connor, James and Simeon, David N. etc searching for the Bee eater. Very, very sadly none of us saw it. I searched until dark. Back Lane is a very long lane which ends in a dead end - don't know whereabouts exactly it was seen in Back Lane - anyone else know anymore please? If it went to roost somewhere, maybe a look at first light in the morning - don't know if I have the mental energy to get up that early after the day I have had/heat.

Sorry you didn't get the bee-eater. Being cheeky now, did you see any butterflies by any chance? We have no records at all this century for the tetrad around Pott Row and it would be nice to put something in the square, even a meadow brown.

Titchwell June 30th

Today's highlights

Marsh tit - 1 on feeders
Knot - 1700 roosting on fresh marsh
Ruff - 12 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 14 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 4 (1ad, 3 1st summer) on fresh marsh
Eider - 10 offshore
Wigeon - 2 drakes on grazing marsh pool

Paul

Sorry you didn't get the bee-eater. Being cheeky now, did you see any butterflies by any chance? We have no records at all this century for the tetrad around Pott Row and it would be nice to put something in the square, even a meadow brown.

It was around 9pmish when I arrived and did not note any butterflies out at that time - sorry!!!!

I found out via one of the NARVOS administrators that the Bee-eater was watched by one person hawking around over the fields in 'Back Lane' and then flew off, not to be seen again, sadly!!

Another lucky person saw one fly through Stiffkey early this morning too and continued SE!!!!

Was astonished again today when I found myself following a large Otter along my home lane here, miles from any river system or open water. Apologies for the poor, side on mobile photo below...

Also, for when the tedium of looking for your own stuff gets you down or you need some sustenance when chasing rarities in NE Norfolk, a new cafe has opened up at Cart Gap. It looks half decent (from the outside at least) too, I hope to give the 'full English' a go soon. Details here...

James

Attachments

• Photo-0197.jpg
    Photo-0197.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 152

Users who are viewing this thread

Back