• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adelaide Rosella (1 Viewer)

bazz

might be wrong but i can't find any Adelaide Rosellas (Platycercus adelaidae) in the data base , and i'm sure i saw a couple in the galleries . In case im right here's a couple of shots you might like to add

Attachments

• AdelaideRosella1.jpg
    AdelaideRosella1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 415
  • AdelaideRosella.jpg
    AdelaideRosella.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Thks Tannin i suspect it might have something to do with the different variations , ranging from yellow to red , but they all still look like Adelaide Rosellas to me. (o)<

The current thinking is tht there is a single species, Platycercus elegans, with three subspecies: Platycercus elegans elegans (Crimson Rosella), Platycercus elegans flaveolus (Yellow) and Platycercus elegans adelaidae (Adelaidae). Given that there is a fair degree of cross-breeding between the subspecies, we might see that reduced to a single monotypic species with several forms. (I should look that up, but I'm out of time this morning.)

But they are striking and beautiful birds nevertheless. I'm not much of a lister, but I do keep a life list and for the three rosellas (and also for the four ringnecks) I make an exception to the usual rule and list them as if they were true species. Why? No real excuse, just because they are beautiful creatures and visually so different.

(Nice pictures too. They reming me it's time I went west again and reaquainted myself with this delightful bird - perhaps the prettiest of the three, though they are all pretty special.)

Interesting reading thks , so if we go off current thinking should the yellow and crimson rosellas in the data base be changed to Platycercus elegans with perhaps an example of each subspecies( including adelaide )or leave the data base as is and add the third subspecies Adelaide Rosella to the list making it eight rosellas not seven 3:)

The database uses an ancient list that has a lot of these sort of problems, Bazz, but does have the advantage that it covers the entire world. I don't think that a more up-to-date world list exists, so for the sort of task the database is, there isn't any sensible alternative.

Fair enough Tannin & BF , i understand you cant list all the subspecies as this would proberly be a vast list indeed.Just trying to raise the profile of the Adelaidae Rosella.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back