• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Hi Craig - do you have the exact dates and locations?

Cheers
Phil

Extract from Gavin Haigs Blog:

Hi Craig. Sorry, been out all evening and just seen your comment. Briefly, all I have at the moment is that it was ringed as a chick on 17/6/2006 and the next sighting was here on the Axe on 28/2/2007. I have nothing further, but have emailed the project co-ordinator and expect to get the up-to-date life history pretty soon. As soon as that happens I'll post it on here.

So, those 2 dates and also it was seen Yday 18/12/11

http://notquitescilly.blogspot.com/2011/12/too-little-time.html

MB

Just back from a meeting with Andy from the Trust.
Birded at the Moors for a couple of hours.
Again a 90% frozen pool. The only open area was from the north of the east island for 80mtrs or so square.
Species counts.
Mute swan pr, Canada goose 1, Shoveler 3 (2 males), Teal 71, Mallard 170, Tufted 6 (5 fems), Pochard male, Coot 196, water rail feeding along west side of scrape. Cormorant 1 overhaed, Snipe c10, Lapwing 120, Curlew 1 in field behind east hide, Herring gull 1, LBBG 1, BHG 100+, Fieldfare 25, redwing 15, Stock dove 10 in field behind east hide.
B :)John
ps The sailing pool was 95% frozen. and the flashes100%

Remember this time last year ? We had just been hit by the big freeze/ blizzard on the Saturday. Mind you the reserve was pretty frozen up around the the time the Waxwings appeared with that hoar frost that lasted a week or so around the 7th. We had our winter in November / December

Not wishing to start a public debate about the viewing from the Flashes, but given the comments last week, is there now at least an estimated date of completion ?

Remember this time last year ? We had just been hit by the big freeze/ blizzard on the Saturday. Mind you the reserve was pretty frozen up around the the time the Waxwings appeared with that hoar frost that lasted a week or so around the 7th. We had our winter in November / December

Not wishing to start a public debate about the viewing from the Flashes, but given the comments last week, is there now at least an estimated date of completion ?

roof is now on. Been down today to give sizes for bench and shelves etc. Windows are all made and on site.
Des and Sy were going down after me to see the builders so there might be more info later.
A good rain free day tomorrow might push things on a bit.:t:

roof is now on. Been down today to give sizes for bench and shelves etc. Windows are all made and on site.
Des and Sy were going down after me to see the builders so there might be more info later.
A good rain free day tomorrow might push things on a bit.:t:

Appreciate that John :t:

Today's photos show the view from the east hide on this wet dreary day.
1. looking north west.
2. the iced over scrape in Amy's Marsh, here we have left the vegetation uncut. This has provided food for passerines and dabbling duck. Also provides cover for roosting snipe, today several were probing in the open areas.
3. The strange, coot panics, this see's them gathering in a tight flock and then skimming along the surface. This can happen for no apparent reason at any time of the year, at this time of year it helps break up the ice, but I'm sure they don't do it for that reason.

Attachments

• resized view from east hide.jpg
    resized view from east hide.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 46
  • resized view of scrape.jpg
    resized view of scrape.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 80
  • resized coot ice breaking.jpg
    resized coot ice breaking.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 90
The first murmerings of this diatribe seem to suggest that the author has a huge 'holier than thou' complex. To make such glib statements and question one of Upton Warren's stalwart Volunteer Wardens is nothing short of ridiculous. Then to use said complex to substantiate such claptrap as "...any member who bothers to register on this forum cares about their welfare and conservation..." beggars belief. So the author doesn't think that there may be egg collectors registered on the Forum who lurk, waiting for the odd snippet of information suggesting rare species breeding at certain locations throughout the country? Stupid indeed!
Then to have the audacity to make claims such as "Anyway - all we are talking about is putting up a few perches for a Kingfisher so that we can enjoy seeing them close to and photographing them to show others!" Or sell them to the general public in the author's case.
"If it's a big problem I can soon poke some sticks in the bank for them - it takes five minutes!!!" Unless the author would like to come along to the next work party when they're scheduled to be working in the area of the East Moors hide, he/she would be ill advised to consider such actions arbitrarily as he/she would risk instant eviction from the Reserve.

Quite a 'poke' that! Ouch! Haven't sold any pics yet pal. Maybe I could interest you in being the first punter to buy one of my shots? By the way what does 'diatribe' mean? Your apparent literacy sounds quite convincing and is very entertaining I must say! Shocking to learn there are so many egg snatchers in our midst. If you too are a volunteer then I look forward to meeting you soon when I offer my services - unless of course you get me banned for being too critical of the Wardens or for speaking out for the photographers. You and I should have a good laugh I reckon when were on stick poking duty?

The Last Tuesday work party of the year tomorrow as usual. Continuing work in the Secret Garden and NE Moors woodland management.
Meet at 9am at the Moors car park.
as for the previous POST..best ignored , Sy don't bite

Last edited:
The Last Tuesday work party of the year tomorrow as usual. Continuing work in the Secret Garden and NE Moors woodland management.
Meet at 9am at the Moors car park.
as for the previous POST..best ignored , Sy don't bite

I agree JB. Not worth the aggro..

I really don't understand why some people perpetuate this myth that there is some kind of division between birders and photographers at Upton. I'm a birder and I like to take photos of them when I can. Others are primarily photographers who take an interest in birds- so whats the issue? Should be some obvious common ground if you ask me.

I think I've missed all the good stuff at UW this year. Managed to miss the great white egret, despite it returning! And the spoonbill. Was the LEO this year too? I think I was north of the border when that was around, or was that last year? I was going to say the jack snipe on the North Moors, but then realised it was last year. D'oh!

As for the rift between birders and 'togs, I'd say there is more of a rift between 'togs who have no regard for the subject, and those that respect the wildlife and all the effort that goes into preserving it.

I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone on here, but I have seen and heard of some actions of 'togs recently that beggars belief.

Going back to the sprawk / kingfisher discussion. I've seen a sprawk go for a kf at UW, from outside the concrete hide (can never remember the new names!), but it missed. I'm surprised they don't encounter each other more often though, as both use the channels between reed beds to move around - the kf to move between perches, and the sprawk to launch surprise attacks from.

I think I've missed all the good stuff at UW this year. Managed to miss the great white egret, despite it returning! And the spoonbill. Was the LEO this year too? I think I was north of the border when that was around, or was that last year? I was going to say the jack snipe on the North Moors, but then realised it was last year. D'oh!

As for the rift between birders and 'togs, I'd say there is more of a rift between 'togs who have no regard for the subject, and those that respect the wildlife and all the effort that goes into preserving it.

I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone on here, but I have seen and heard of some actions of 'togs recently that beggars belief.

Going back to the sprawk / kingfisher discussion. I've seen a sprawk go for a kf at UW, from outside the concrete hide (can never remember the new names!), but it missed. I'm surprised they don't encounter each other more often though, as both use the channels between reed beds to move around - the kf to move between perches, and the sprawk to launch surprise attacks from.

Hi Pete,
Thanks for that and the observation re KF and Sprawk. I guess it just shows that for a Sparrowhawk anything's on the menu if it can get it! Glad to hear that the KF got away. The reason for me raising this was to seek peoples views as to whether we were making it easier for Sprawks to catch a Kingfisher by installing the items which must not be mentioned 8-P

Anyway - I think we've done the subject to death now - superb photos, as always, on your Flickr site btw :t:

Our bird feeders (at reserves and in our gardens) are surely the biggest man-made dinner plate for sprawks? And no-one is going to argue to remove these, as they're generally of benefit to the birds that use them.

Seems to be a fine line between helping wildlife and introducing new dangers to it. I would like to think that we (humans) are more help than harm.

Thanks - you've been getting some good stuff yourself lately. I'm still not as keen on Flickr's layout as Fotopic, but for seeing other folk's work, it's great.

Nice one, Pete,

Good to get a perspective from a skillful and responsible photographer. I can honestly say I've never had any issues with 'togs who respect their subject matter. I believe that we have and will endeavour to continue to incorporate any suggestions that are deemed to be of mutual benefit to wildlife and birders / photographers at UW. Obviously, if evidence of any contraindications w.r.t. to any modifications that we make emerges then we will review them as necessary and take remedial action. :t:

Tuesday work party at Moors 20th Dec

The last work party of the year was again a total success.
Two groups,
1. Secret Garden
2 NE emergent woodland management.

SECRET GARDEN
Today we strimmed and pruned last years growth of saplings. Old brash piles in the middle of the are were removed and added to the dead hedge. That runs from NE corner to the natural viewing 'screen'. The bramble that has sprawled across the area was also removed.
The area is now mostly grassy/moss/lichen covered ground, surrounded by willows, blackthorn and hawthorn that will act as a wind break. The thick bramble patch is confined to the edge of the short vegetated area.
We now have an array of habitat types that should offer a variety of nesting opportunities.
The short vegetated area should see a diverse flora appear and butterflies will hopefully thrive in this 'sun-trap'.
The 4 photos of the area are as follows:
1.Before the work began.
2. The view from inside the secret garden
3. The view from the secret garden looking south to the rank grassy area that is behind the emergent woodland.
4. The view from the viewing screen over the secret garden.
The only thing left in this area is to lower the viewing screen (dead hedge). That will be done soon

Attachments

• resized1.Secret G B4 work  (3).JPG
    resized1.Secret G B4 work (3).JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 65
  • resized2.best inside SG afta work. (3).JPG
    resized2.best inside SG afta work. (3).JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 3.from SG to grassy area.JPG
    3.from SG to grassy area.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 4.Sec Gdn from screen afta work (2).JPG
    4.Sec Gdn from screen afta work (2).JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 69
Emergent Woodland in the NE corner of the Moors pool.
After the first group had finished the secret garden, we joined Paul and the other lads to 'thin' out the woodland. Just to remind everyone that we planted this area some 15 years or so ago to act as a screen from the road. The area was rough grassland, prior to the planting up. Unfortunately it was intended to keep the trees and bushes managed as a thick low scrubland, but with so many other jobs at hand it was over looked. We are now making amends and will endeavour to recreate a scrubland to enhance the remaining adjacent rough grassland. Some of the larger trees will be managed to maximise their wildlife potential. Several mountain ash, cherry and holly will be left untouched.
A dead hedge has been created from the brash and runs the whole length of the border with the grassland. Other trees will be 'ring-barked' to remain in situ and will be excellent for woodpeckers and an array of insects.
The grassland will be strimmed in patches, to encourage a more varied flora than there is at present. The thinning of the wood will encourage some scrubby growth and within 3 years we should get the desired results.

Today's 12 participants, enjoyed an assortment of cake chocolate and drink. Many thanks to John C, Terry N and Sukie for that . And a very happy Christmas and thank you for all the effort from all 24 of the participants over the last 4 months. You really have made a massive difference to the reserve. :t::t:

For the cake aficionados Terry N home made mince meat cake was a candidate for cake of the year.;)
Pics
1. Grassy area
2. dead hedge.
3. action from today or maybe rest-time8-P
4. view into wood from close to 'lifestiles'
5. view within wood.

Attachments

• 1.best grassy area during dead hedging (2).JPG
    1.best grassy area during dead hedging (2).JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.dead hedge emegt wood nxt to grassland.jpg
    2.dead hedge emegt wood nxt to grassland.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 3.action from 2day (2).JPG
    3.action from 2day (2).JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 4.view into NE moors from Life styles afta wrk (2).JPG
    4.view into NE moors from Life styles afta wrk (2).JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 5.within wood aft a wrk (2).JPG
    5.within wood aft a wrk (2).JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The last work party of the year was again a total success.
Two groups,
1. Secret Garden
2 NE emergent woodland management.

SECRET GARDEN
Today we strimmed and pruned last years growth of saplings. Old brash piles in the middle of the are were removed and added to the dead hedge. That runs from NE corner to the natural viewing 'screen'. The bramble that has sprawled across the area was also removed.
The area is now mostly grassy/moss/lichen covered ground, surrounded by willows, blackthorn and hawthorn that will act as a wind break. The thick bramble patch is confined to the edge of the short vegetated area.
We now have an array of habitat types that should offer a variety of nesting opportunities.
The short vegetated area should see a diverse flora appear and butterflies will hopefully thrive in this 'sun-trap'.
The 4 photos of the area are as follows:
1.Before the work began.
2. The view from inside the secret garden
3. The view from the secret garden looking south to the rank grassy area that is behind the emergent woodland.
4. The view from the viewing screen over the secret garden.
The only thing left in this area is to lower the viewing screen (dead hedge). That will be done soon

God job John and the guys as always :t:

Today's birding was dominated by the passerines.
After the work in the secret garden, a flock of 40 lesser redpoll came to feed on the alders and birches. Large numbers of thrushes 200 min were along the west track first thing.
On the pool (where the ice was 60% of the surface area), duck numbers had reached the winter low point.
species count:
Teal 60, Tufted 5, mallard c100, Mute swan pr NO SHOVELER's
snipe 13 on view, lapwing 120+, curlew 16. Herring gull a movement all morning mostly north.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back