• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (33 Viewers)

ringing

I was on Bardsey a couple of weekends ago and turned up when a hawfinch flew overhead, got netted and subsequently ringed. Got me thinking it would be great to do some ringing training. Does anyone know if anyone around the area does training? Does uw carry out any ringing? cheers for any help.

Wood Sandpiper at the Flashes early morning (Jared T) then flew off north at c7.20am and continued north over the Moors Pool.

Looks like another day of potential decent passage.

I was on Bardsey a couple of weekends ago and turned up when a hawfinch flew overhead, got netted and subsequently ringed. Got me thinking it would be great to do some ringing training. Does anyone know if anyone around the area does training? Does uw carry out any ringing? cheers for any help.

I trained as a ringer a few years ago. My trainer was an ex-UW regular and more recently was the Warden at the Knapp & Papermill NR - Fergus Henderson. However, I believe he has moved on to other pursuits out of this local area.
There are other ringer trainers in the area, one of whom is Redditch-based but I don't know whether she has her full quota of trainees presently. Her name is Leigh Nash. She's affiliated with Birmingham University and rings at Ipsley Alders, on the Lickey Hills and in Chaddesley Woods if that's any good for you. http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/ornithology/people/ringing-group/index.aspx
Ringing at UW is controlled by WWT who (as always) run anything past English Nature first.
I have mobile numbers for them both ringing trainers and will approach them on your behalf if you wish.
Otherwise, I understand that one of the regular contributors to this thread is currently a trainee ringer he may be able to provide more up-to-date info. PM Jason K.

Ste
Further to my last post; Leigh has married her long-term partner and is now Leigh Kelly. She isn't taking on any trainees at present.
It took a while but I eventually found this which might help you with your search for a trainer...
http://blx1.bto.org/ringingTrainers/ringing-trainers.jsp
Surprisingly, if you drill down to an area west of the Malverns you'll find Fergus Henderson in a village called Cradley and it says that he is taking on trainees.

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC - No Upton Warren Content

Off Topic Post

Folks

Can I pick your brains please. I posted this in the Birds of Prey section and was refused an answer. So I thought I'd run it past you guys...
Given the fact that I've got a couple of acres of land in Lydiate Ash, it makes sense (for insurance and support) to be a member of the NFU. Members get a monthly magazine called Countryside.
Whilst my conservation credentials are not ultra-green, I'm an awful lot greener than your average farmer!
In the may edition of Countryside, there's a letter (see attached .pdf and .jpeg) that has really got my blood boiling. It's my intention to fire a rebuttal across this guy's bows via the letters page next month. I am already planning to mention the Red Kites aren't a "new species" and the fact that instances of illegal poisoning, either indirect or targeting raptors and scavengers like the Kite, are repeatedly reported from almost every country in the EU including Great Britain where at least 60 of the reintroduced birds have been found dead and intoxicated by a variety of pesticides and especially rodenticides - presumably spread by irresponsible land owners.
I then intend to move on and remind the the author and the magazine's readers that the most significant predators of Lapwing chicks (apart from mowing by farmers and trampling by livestock) are Corvids (particularly Carrion Crows but also Magpies and Jackdaws) other bird species including Grey Heron and Gulls and mammals such as Red Fox, Brown Rat, Stoats and Weasels and the domestic cat.
Can anyone supply me with any more ammunition to shut this pillock and his like-minded friends up, please?

Thanks

Sy

Attachments

• RK Article.pdf
    298 KB · Views: 55
  • RK Article.jpg
    RK Article.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 77
dunnock

no difference between sexes mate

i can think of one difference! with regards asking about sparrow hawk was that for the day of the osprey if so one came over just after was photographed. sods law its all kicking off down there now what with work and having to go to lesbos in the morning can ya save something for when i get back. take care all see ya in a couple of weeks and good birding. ps well done dave.

i can think of one difference! with regards asking about sparrow hawk was that for the day of the osprey if so one came over just after was photographed. sods law its all kicking off down there now what with work and having to go to lesbos in the morning can ya save something for when i get back. take care all see ya in a couple of weeks and good birding. ps well done dave.

Have a great trip to Lesvos, Trace - you'll love it, it's brilliant!:t:

Thank you so much for all the information. It's hugely helpful - I've contacted a couple of the trainers in my area from the link.

Thanks again!

Ste
Further to my last post; Leigh has married her long-term partner and is now Leigh Kelly. She isn't taking on any trainees at present.
It took a while but I eventually found this which might help you with your search for a trainer...
http://blx1.bto.org/ringingTrainers/ringing-trainers.jsp
Surprisingly, if you drill down to an area west of the Malverns you'll find Fergus Henderson in a village called Cradley and it says that he is taking on trainees.

The wood sandpiper was there when I turned up at 6:15 this morning but no sign of any whimbrel.

Mike

single whimbrel at moors this morning - it was there when i got there around 5.30 - it went after half an hour and i didn't see it again

very poor quality record shot (it was still pretty dark):

Attachments

• whimbrel.JPG
    whimbrel.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 90
Reports of another Whimbrel through the reserve late morning, an Arctic Tern on the Sailing Pool and a Garden Warbler in the secret garden at the Moors

some warbler pics from today + a couple of shots of a pair of peregrines seeing off a buzzard:

Attachments

• cetti's.JPG
    cetti's.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 100
  • garden.JPG
    garden.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 90
  • garden (2).jpg
    garden (2).jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 82
  • peregrine vs buzzard.JPG
    peregrine vs buzzard.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 77
  • peregrine vs buzzard2.JPG
    peregrine vs buzzard2.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 86
also today (moors):

3 common sandpiper, 2 lrp, 2 lapwing first thing

whitethroat singing at far end of the car park - also lesser whitethroat singing the other side of the path to the viewing screens at north moors

Last edited:
Today at the reserve (MOORS)

Certainly today was an 'after the Lord Mayors show' day. I arrived to be greeted by a cold NW wind dropping the temperature by 10 degrees. I walked along the causeway, where sedge warblers was the most dominant song. A look over the Moors pool, revealed a year tick - with 5 swifts battling against the wind. A quick chat with Dave J, who told me he had seen the wood sand flyover from the Flashes heading north. I then staked out the 'secret garden', which was harbouring many warblers from the cold.
Between the swampy bottom and the secret garden were at least 6 singing sedge warblers. This species, up until recent years, always arrived in large numbers at this time of year. These were then followed a week or so later by reed warblers, which promptly ousted the sedge's from the best breeding sites. However the reed warblers now arrive earlier than they did a few years back, so large gatherings of sedge is less frequent. Across the whole reserve there were c20 sedges or more.
Anyway apart from sedges, the secret garden and its adjacent area held 3 whitethroats, 3 blackcap several chiffchaffs at least 2 singing willow warblers, reed warbler, cettis and the first GARDEN WARBLER of the year. Luckily Dave J and others managed to see it. It only gave a sub song and this when it was in sunshine. Onto the east track where willow warbler, chiffchaff, blackcaps, reed warblers and more sedges' sang, as well a redpolls.
From the East hide, most activity was in the 'scrape' and only the tufted , coot and hirundines ventured into the cold wind.
Species counts: GCG 4 (2 nests) little grebe 2, shoveler 5(pr + 3 male), gadwall pr, teal pr, shelduck male, tufted 38, Oystercatcher 5, common sand 3, lapwing pr, a whimbrel flew over heading north at 10.30ish, Arctic tern, buzzard, sparrowhawk, swift 5, green woodp, kingfisher,
c150 of all 3 hirundines mostly sand martin, sedge warbler 12 to 15, whitethroat 4, willow warbler 3, GARDEN WARBLER, redpoll 4,

Today at the FLASHES

Again sedge warblers were very conspicuous, with 3 in the Hen pool and at least 3 at the scrubby area between the steps and the climbing frame.
The Flashes were certainly quieter than yesterday.
A pair of whitethroats foraged in the short scrub right of the hide and another was opposite the steps. The only lesser whitethroat sang by the sailing centre.
Species counts: Teal 2 females, gadwall pr, shelduck 3, mallard fem + 11 chicks, tufted 10, mute swan pr, coot 10, avocet 25, Black wits 5, LRP 4, common sand 2, BHG 73 nests, Stock dove 5, great sp woodp, green woodp, rook, skylark singing - north field. sedge warbler 6+, reed warbler 3, willow warbler, a few swallows moved through, linnet 2, but generally not a lot of migration at the Flashes.B :)john

Last edited:
Warblers Today

Today on the reserve, there were 10 species of warblers scattered throughout the site.
Many of them were gathered in the scrubby areas, sheltering from the cold wind. As some had only just arrived, they were frantically feeding up, whilst others were singing and staking out territories. Many of the species have arrived late, owing to the inclement weather across Europe and North Africa.
They are all now trying to catch up, so hopefully we will see plenty of frenetic activity over the next few weeks, making for some exciting birding.
At present the secret garden and other south facing areas are worth checking out, especially early mornings when they are feeding up, as they did today.

Today's minimum counts on the whole of the reserve:
Grasshopper warbler 1 - foraging around the Moors car park ditch
Garden Warbler 1 - secret garden
Lesser Whitethroat 1 - sailing pool south
Whitethroat 7
blackcap 15,
chiffchaff 15 - 20
willow warbler 5
cettis warbler 1 - 2
sedge warbler 18 -20
reed warbler 12 - 15

Today on the reserve, there were 10 species of warblers scattered throughout the site.
Many of them were gathered in the scrubby areas, sheltering from the cold wind. As some had only just arrived, they were frantically feeding up, whilst others were singing and staking out territories. Many of the species have arrived late, owing to the inclement weather across Europe and North Africa.
They are all now trying to catch up, so hopefully we will see plenty of frenetic activity over the next few weeks, making for some exciting birding.
At present the secret garden and other south facing areas are worth checking out, especially early mornings when they are feeding up, as they did today.

Today's minimum counts on the whole of the reserve:
Grasshopper warbler 1 - foraging around the Moors car park ditch
Garden Warbler 1 - secret garden
Lesser Whitethroat 1 - sailing pool south
Whitethroat 7
blackcap 15,
chiffchaff 15 - 20
willow warbler 5
cettis warbler 1 - 2
sedge warbler 18 -20
reed warbler 12 - 15

Hi John - I take it these are total numbers rather than singing males?

PS Who had the Arctic Tern today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back