• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (4 Viewers)

- it seems to be dated 1985 FFS..
Edward!!! - Such language!
I assume this painting has been posted to make me look a complete tw@t, has it?? eh???? For, having already said you had painted your 2010 masterpiece, you then go and screw me like a bitch at stud and chuck this one in. Naughty, naughty boy.
These two are obviously making up part of your SWLA submissions this year.

I don't think that i have the words to describe 'how good' that hobby painting is Ed....so i won't even try....!

ps...i guess an icon will have to suffice....:eek!:

:t:

But the new one shows the same skill but with something much more personal in it, just what art should be, bird or otherwise. I hesitate to ask, and please feel free to ignore the question, but what did you do between that painting from 25 years ago and your recent ones here? That was one long fermenting process.;);)

an unexplained 20 year gap in a cv usually indicates a gaol sentence, but in my case a bit more prosaic: I thought the stuff I was doing in 1985ish was a bit boring and lacking personality (it was a time when Warrens and Jonssons were busting out all over) so I stopped...its really picking up some bristly brushes + a self-imposed ban on using black paint that's got things going somewhere a bit more interesting these days

an unexplained 20 year gap in a cv usually indicates a gaol sentence, but in my case a bit more prosaic: I thought the stuff I was doing in 1985ish was a bit boring and lacking personality (it was a time when Warrens and Jonssons were busting out all over) so I stopped...its really picking up some bristly brushes + a self-imposed ban on using black paint that's got things going somewhere a bit more interesting these days

Thanks Ed! I of course have a 20 year gap in my own CV but will not be sharing details of just which gaol I spent it in.;) As I said though the long fermentation has paid off in spades. This new one, and the previous, really are stunners.

I really thought I'd commented on this already, apparently not!

My initial reaction was something like; Fork in bell that's good! Maybe that's why it didn't get written down!

I love, love, love this, it's your best yet and that's saying something. Just buzzing, crackling, swirling with energy and colour.

Mike

hello all- just recovering from Tim's vivid image - might be a memorable cartoon in the making there

canvas #3 not quite underway- but here's the working-out drawing: will hopefully be Masked Shrike deep in oak scrub where to find them you have to amble around under the canopy thinking this doesn't feel shrikey..just waiting for the flash of white at about head height

Attachments

• 550 masked scan0001 copy.jpg
    550 masked scan0001 copy.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 56
Such prose, Ed - and a bit of a shame this drawing wasn't made about 8 months ago, for personal reasons . . . . - ah well, revision two, maybe

No painty output this weekend, but here's a little offering- sleepy LR Plover in some tideline doings. I gave it too much bulk under the tail so it doesn't look quite as slim and summery as it should

Attachments

• 550 lrp DSC_1321 copy.jpg
    550 lrp DSC_1321 copy.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 59
superb all round, ELECTRIC lines of energy, the LRP has no problem, the fatty batty could easily be read as part of the background (that's how I read it anyway) and the bird sits beautifully in its surroundings.

Hello all- a little nudge to the Masked Shrike project with another shot at using underpainting to get the movement and the jangle going: next challenge is going to be to decide how literally to paint the oak leaves

Meantimes I could see I was going to run out of time this weekend so here's an evening feeding Black Stork from the same bridge as the Hobby upthread- done quick on a small (12" x 16") canvas

Attachments

• 550 q9 DSC_1339 copy.jpg
    550 q9 DSC_1339 copy.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_1337.JPG
    DSC_1337.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 48
You manage such tremdous energy in your paintings Ed, remarkable stuff. Also there is a swirling dynamic effect from your brush strokes that pulls you into the painting. The stork painting is a top class Ed, very clever perspective and wonderful colour....

When is the SWLA deadline Tim?

Last edited:
Love the underpainting and sketched out Masked Shrike. Sure that's gonna be another blinder!
Also an old Polish friend, which I have always only seen in flight! Usually overhead while being in a forest! So nice to see one actually landed!
Cracking!

Stork is glowing with life already, and so great to see how you start off on the shrike.....would like to see several steps if you can manage it...you're in a class by yourself with the active paintings you do.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back