• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bracket for Cameras without filter thread or are heavy (1 Viewer)

rogerscoth

I now have my fabricated bracket (as mentioned in copy of previous posting shown below). This is designed to accomodate my still and video cameras, that are not suitable for use with the tube type adaptors.
----------------------
(copy)
Hello Steve,
It appears we made a posting on the same day on this subject, and around the same time as the new expanded forum (a good idea!) This is a copy of my (reply)posting :- ---------------------
Hello Kingfisher, Just signed up to this forum and this is my first reply. The 35x eyepiece does seem extreme - I tried a 20x with my Opticron HR66A, and even this is a bit too much. I use a JVC
GR DVL-20 camcorder, also a Fuji S304 still cam. and have recently bought a newly introduced Opticron 40929 Digital eyepiece. First trials seem very encouraging, but I am awaiting fabrication of a self- designed simple support bracket for the Fuji (just a 3mm thick mild steel strip, bent at 45 degrees to follow angle of 'scope with slotted holes for adjustment - very rigid) - I will keep you posted with the results. The 40929 is 79GBP direct from Opticron and will give 12.5x used with your Imagic 80. Hope this helps.
Roger S
------------------------
I am still waiting for my new bracket, therefore have not fully tested the eyepiece. Initial short test gives a much brighter image than with normal eyepieces, but because the cameras were not fixed I could not take any pics..
(copy end)
----------------------------------------
I have not tested the set-up fully yet, but first results are promising. I need some more practice!
I have attached a picture of the set-up.
-- note added Thursday.3rd.April :-
Forget to mention - my first test picture appears in
Bird Forum Wildlife and Nature Galleries>Digiscoped Photographs>Goldfinch

Attachments

• camscopebrkt.jpg
    camscopebrkt.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Roger.

I saw something similar on a Zeiss Diascope at a photographic exhibition at the NEC in February.

You can set up the camera with the eyepiece and then move the top part (holding the camera) to one side in order to use the scope eyepiece as normal. You can then move the camera back straight into position to take the photo (no need to re-adjust).

The adapter is able to hold digital cameras, SLR cameras and compact camcorders.

Hey roger, you can still use a tube adapter with your fuji, just use the 55mm adpater tube that came with the camera and make a tube adapter to slip over the eyepiece out of pvc pipe or the like, i made one for my fuji s602, but the vignetting for some reason was terrible with the fuji, how is the vignetting with the s304? I bought that very camera as a present for my parents, i will have to try it on my pentax scope. I still have one of the adapters i made for the fuji, i will test it with the s304(3800), i never tried it because of the poor results with the s602.

later

Paul

Hello Paul,
My reason for creating the metal bracket was mainly to enable the use of a still camera and my DV video camera with relative ease. I have had vignetting problems with standard eye-pieces - mainly with the Fuji S304 still camera. Using the video camera with a 20WW eye-piece works, but the magnification is a bit high. After purchase of the Opticron 40929 eye-piece, that is specifically designed for use with digital cameras, the vignetting problem was almost removed with the still camera, but made the use of the video camera impossible.
As I said before, I am need of a bit more practice!

rogerscoth said:
Hello Paul,
My reason for creating the metal bracket was mainly to enable the use of a still camera and my DV video camera with relative ease. I have had vignetting problems with standard eye-pieces - mainly with the Fuji S304 still camera. Using the video camera with a 20WW eye-piece works, but the magnification is a bit high. After purchase of the Opticron 40929 eye-piece, that is specifically designed for use with digital cameras, the vignetting problem was almost removed with the still camera, but made the use of the video camera impossible.
As I said before, I am need of a bit more practice!

Ok, now i understand. There is definately a problem using standard eyepieces with large zoom digital cameras, something isn't compatible, i guess the lesser mag eyepieces are the answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back