• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon/sigma lens (1 Viewer)

Pitta Patter

I am considering getting a new lens for my canon 400D. I have a Tamron 70-300mm which has packed up. I have a canon sx50hs powershot which i am happy with and a canon s95 that I use for digiscoping. I was wondering whether to get a sigma 500mm fixed or 170-500mm lens or alternative or not bother at all. With that range I don't know if I would get improved results with a new lens over the sx50hs or not. Looking to spend no more than 1k new or ysed to be honest. I am only a casual/amateur photographer really. Wondering if anyone had any ideas?

The 400d is very old and outdated now compared to modern cameras ,the sigma 170-500 went out of production several years ago to . I think you really need to research your needs and budget before going further ,in all probability a sx50 would be best for you imho

Thanks black fox. I think I meant the 150-500 sigma os lens rather than a 170-500 lens.

The 400d is very old and outdated now compared to modern cameras ,the sigma 170-500 went out of production several years ago to . I think you really need to research your needs and budget before going further ,in all probability a sx50 would be best for you imho

I would get a Tamron 150-600. Much better than the Sigma 150-500 (I have owned both). The Tammy is £949, although in short supply so some sellers are asking >£1k. I think Jessops currently have some in stock for £949. Comes with a 5 year Tamron warranty.

While the 400D is an older model I wouldn't write it off. I used to use one and took some of my favourite bird photos with it - while the newer models do have advantages there is no reason why the 400D cannot produce great images.

The Sigma 500mm prime is a superb lens which will outperform any of the third party zooms out there - but it comes at a price (both cost and weight). If you do go for the prime you would need to budget for a decent tripod and head too. The 150-500 is a well thought of lens which a lot of people are very happy with but it wouldn'd be my choice. I have also read a lot of good about the new Tamron but have yet to get hold of one to try out. For me in that budget I would look at what sort of shooting you do and look at either the Canon 100-400 or the Canon 400 f5.6 prime. Secondhand either would fall into the budget and in my experience outperform the third party zooms.

I see that you are in Suffolk. It would be worth a trip to WEX in Norwich to have a play with some of these lenses and see which you prefer.

I have both the Canon 400/5.6 and Tamron 150-600 and have to say that the Tamron gives the 400/5.6 a darn good run for its money (much to my surprise!!) - the detail at 600mm is certainly better than a up-rezed or tighter cropped image from the 400/5.6, with both at 400mm the Canon wins it. I have also used the Canon 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc (on the 5D3) and think that the Tamron is best at these focal lengths although the Canon takes a tc very well. Between these two a lot depends if you are heavily into BIF, if so then the 400/5.6 is best as it focuses faster and is also lighter to hold - if you are reach limited and shoot mainly perched birds then I would go for the Tammy. The Tammy also has the advantage of a very good VC (I.S.) system if you prefer hand holding. If it were a choice between the 100-400 and the Tammy I would choose the Tammy every time although my experience with the 100-400 is very limited so you can take this with a pinch of salt.

Thank you all for some really useful comments. I have heard good things about the Tamron lens and I will definitely look at going to Wex.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back