• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 8 x 30 PCF CW review (1 Viewer)

Howard220

I like them. How's that for a review?

For the $139 I paid at Eagle Optics (less at some other vendors) I am very pleased. To keep at one window that offers a view of a feeder that gets a lot of activity, I wanted to replace my very nice (optically) Nikon Travelite 9 x 25's with their very narrow field and roll-down eyecups. The fellow I talked with at Eagle offered to compare the Pentax with the other inexpensive lightweight porro I considered: the Kowa YF 8x 30. His review yielded more distortion and chromatic aberration in the Kowa, and a little less sharp. So I went with the Pentax. (That I could talk with someone who was willing to examine both is one of several reasons I ordered from Eagle.)

Chromatic aberration is minimal. While a cut or two below the level of my old Swift Audubon 8.5x44 804R's, the view is quite clear and relaxed. I was hoping for a bino with a larger FOV (such as the Kowa), but I decided I would accept a smaller field (367 ft) but with a nicer view than one with a larger field but a poorer view. (I already have one of those, and I do get a bit disgusted with them anymore.) There is a fair amount of pincushion distortion in the Pentax, but out in nature I don't care. There is also a bright ring visible around the entire field (though outside the field) that I see when a) not wearing eyeglasses and b) with the eyecups retracted one step down from being fully extended. So, the closer your eyes to the eye lenses, the larger and more prominent is the ring. I don't know where that ring is coming from, but it doesn't seem to interfere with the overall view.

Considering how far out the eyecups can be twisted out, it'd seem there is plenty of eye relief available. But I just cannot see the *entire* field when wearing eyeglasses, and the twist-down eyecups are fully retracted down. (My eyeglasses are -1.50 diopter, so they are not very thick.)

These binos are very lightweight (a shade under 17 oz. on my postal scale - no strap or eyecups attached), and easy for me to hold. I have relatively small hands. I measured the interpupillary distance as 56 - 74 mm center to center. (Pentax specifies 60 - 70 mm.) Again, once set properly, the view is quite relaxed - no straining to see. The hinge adjustment for changing the IPD is very smooth, with just the right amount of tension.

Is there veiling glare? If there is, *I* think it's pretty minimal unless I'm looking at something that is within maybe 20 degrees of the sun. Even then, a shift in eye placement will eliminate it.

Are there cons? You bet. The focuser is very stiff. I cannot turn it with the fingers of one hand; it requires two hands: pushing with one, pulling with the other. The right-eye diopter adjustment is even stiffer. Maybe over time they will loosen. I can only hope....

The objective covers are "snap-in" style, and one of them is not all that tight. I am therefore guaranteed to lose them somewhere - anywhere. The rainguard for the eyepieces is so big as to simply not fit. Sure, once they are attached to the neck strap they won't disappear, but I won't expect them to stay on the eyepieces to protect them. I am going to look for replacements for both ends. One odd thing: If I want them to stand up on any flat surface I have to open them up fully. Otherwise, its center of gravity makes them fall over. I have not yet attached the strap; maybe that'll be an issue, too. ;-)

Any questions? If I think of anything else I'll post more.

Last edited:
Howard,

Thanks for the report. I only had a quick look at the Pentax and didn't refresh my memory of the Kowa or Opticron that day so I can't be certain if it's from the same 'family' or not, but it did appear similar. I see the specs on the Pentax are a little different to the others so maybe it's a new source? The one I tried was OK on sharpness but I suspect not the best I've seen.

David

David,

Although I've only once tried an 8 x 30 Yosemite some years ago, I am quite certain that these are not of the same ilk. The Pentax's FOV is narrower, for one, and by not just a few feet. I remember feeling a lot of eyestrain with the Yosemites; none with this Pentax. The Pentax is no mechanical marvel, I want to point out. It does feel cheap in almost all the parts that move. But they work pretty well for the price, and I'm happy with that. Now, if only manufacturers would make a lightweight porro like this, valued at $250 or $300, I'm sure it would be a gem.

BTW, I wrestled with the neckstrap trying to install it, and attached the rainguard to it. Finally successful, the rainguard will stay on the eyepieces as long as it's attached to the neckstrap near the neckstrap's attachment point.

I just had a quick look round the specifications of the different versions and there is variation in FOV, length and ER. The 8x Pentax FOV is 122.3m, the current Yosemite BX-1 118m, the Opticron 131m and the Kowa 132m. We think the Opticron and Kowa are built in the same factory as the original Yosemite. Is the Pentax related to either or sourced entirely differently I wonder?

David

Hi Frank,

No, the 8 x 30 Pentax doesn't look all that much like the Cabelas shown in the photo in the link you posted. I held mine up to the photo, and I see a number of distinct physical differences. The focusing knob and the bridge are two examples.

Howard

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back