• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D auto-assist beam. (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

It's less than once in a blue moon that I use the flash on my 7D, but tonight was one of those occasions.

A gecko turned up on the bathroom ceiling and I went to get some shots of it. The light level was low, but the camera refused to focus and the auto assist light didn't appear, despite it being set to 'enable' in the settings. I tried it in shutter priority and program with the same lack of function.

I eventually got round the problem by using a torch for added illumination to focus, but that's far from an ideal solution. The camera is set to single point, AI Servo and it's not a problem I recall occurring in the past on the rare occasions when I've used the flash.

Have I pressed something I shouldn't?

From memory I'm not sure that AF Assist will work in AI Servo mode. Try switching to One Shot and try again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back