• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

Hi folks. We down Dorset this weekend, so any tips on what's about would be nice. Is the Poole Ring-billed Gull still knocking about? Visiting family in Bear Cross, so tempted to visit Longham to look for the Smew and Jack Snipe too.

Cheers,

Larry

Hi folks. We down Dorset this weekend, so any tips on what's about would be nice. Is the Poole Ring-billed Gull still knocking about? Visiting family in Bear Cross, so tempted to visit Longham to look for the Smew and Jack Snipe too.

Cheers,

Larry

Hi Larry

Last I heard of the Ring-billed it appeared to be on Brownsea Island but I would give Poole Park a visit as it does seem to be very fond of the smaller lake (the one surrounded by the model railway). Just look for people feeding the ducks.

Dowitcher is still at Lodmoor, up to 4 Bittern on Hatch Pond and Waxwings on Runnymede Ave., Bearwood. Stanpit has a nice mix of bits and pieces at present (ckeckout their website). Of course do check Longham Lakes, who knows what will turn up early spring.

Good Birding

Ray

Larry, I should just point out that the Jack Snipe area mentioned above is actually on a private section of the site. However, they can occur along the sides of the lakes.

Hope you have a good time, anyhow.

Nice walk round Longham this afternoon - still good sized small flocks of teal and wigeon (20+ of each), but no meds gulls, no smew for me and no sign of snipe or jack snipe.
Weather fresh but bright and felt like spring migrants are on the way. In a month things will be really moving again.
One small fox round the pumping station area.
Chris

Last edited:
Just been for a waddle round Longham on a lovely day. Nice scope views of a Peregrine settled on the deck in the middle of the flooded fields area west of the lakes. 5 adult Med Gulls, 2 Red-head Goosander, 2 Shoveler, 6+ Reed Bunting, 8 Greylags with the Canadas.

Six redhead goosander and one redhead smew present this afternoon.
Also still 30 wigeon and double figures of teal, four jays together. 15 great crested grebe in one group.
Flock of 18 linnets. Reed bunting showing well this year too.

Also dropped in to see the Bearcross waxwings - I counted 40 - and with a decent push they could make it to Longham. They can't be more than a mile away in a straight line.

Chris

2 Curlew flew south over Longham Lakes at 8am this morning - something of a rarity for here (2nd record).

Also 4 Goosanders and 1 Kingfisher. Lots of Redwings singing.

My first chiffchaff of the season at Longham lakes today, and still 5 redhead goosanders there. Also at least 50 (!) pied wagtails together.

Two pairs of mandarin on the pond nearest the clubhouse at Canford Magna golf club.
Chris

Last edited:
Managed to race to the Bill at lunch and get brief flight views of the hoopoe , but it disappeared and I had to go back to work.

No sign of waxwings in King John's Road, Bearcross today, nor any bitterns at Hatch Pond. Lots of Brimstone butterflies on the wing.
Chris

Mandarins are back in the Garden checking out the Nest box they used last year. In order for them to gain access they had to evict a pair of Stock Doves. When the duck went in the box they male dove went in after her. Lots of feathers, then he reappeared looking very dishevelled. Later he tried again with the same result.

Later the duck came back out and went for a swim in the pond. The whole time the drake stoodby looking elegant. He never once attempted to support the duck in her battles. But did go for a bathe in the pond. Got a shot but through the kitchen window so a little hazy.

Photos of drake looking very grand and then of the Mexican (Mandarin?) standoff between the duck and the male Stock Dove.

Ray

Attachments

• Mandarin-drake.jpg
    Mandarin-drake.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Mandarin-standoff.jpg
    Mandarin-standoff.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Mandarins are back in the Garden checking out the Nest box they used last year. In order for them to gain access they had to evict a pair of Stock Doves. When the duck went in the box they male dove went in after her. Lots of feathers, then he reappeared looking very dishevelled. Later he tried again with the same result.

Later the duck came back out and went for a swim in the pond. The whole time the drake stoodby looking elegant. He never once attempted to support the duck in her battles. But did go for a bathe in the pond. Got a shot but through the kitchen window so a little hazy.

Photos of drake looking very grand and then of the Mexican (Mandarin?) standoff between the duck and the male Stock Dove.

Ray

Excellent shots Ray. Do you live by the Stour?

Excellent shots Ray. Do you live by the Stour?
Hi Chris

Yes, just south of Wimborne about 200 metres from the Stour. The pair flew through the trees yesterday evening, checking out the area again I suspect. It's what they did last year. Stock Doves have moved to the box intended for them and I noticed birds and squirrels have been avoiding the owl box so hopefully the Tawnies may be in residence again. They have been making quite a racket during the night recently.

The Mandarins were back later in the morning. She went into the box for about 2 hours whilst he posed outside on a branch. She is probably building her nest with body down.

Ray

Last edited:
Nothing exciting to report at Longham today, but beautiful weather - good light for photographs.
Took these two...

Also heard several woodcock as i was out looking at the moon around Holt Heath tonight.

Attachments

• P1050605.jpg
    P1050605.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 59
  • P1050615.jpg
    P1050615.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back