• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget Bins for the jungle (1 Viewer)

sorridsky

Hello all,

I've just graduated and the university has taken my lovely swarofski 8x30's off me, well thiers technically but I've had them for 3 years.

I can't afford to replace them, but as I'm off working as a volunteer science officer for some conservation projects both marine and terrestrail-rainforest, I need lightweight small waterproof tough CHEAP binoculars for the job.

What can you guys recomend? I'm talking maybe $100 used.

Congratulations on the graduation B :)
If you're prepared to look at secondhand and up the budget (OK, I know, I know) Opticron Travellers might not be a million miles away ergonomically from what you're used to :
http://opticron.boson.posiweb.net/pages/page10.html#Trav
Lcegroup have a 6x32 for under £150. The 8x42 Imagic roof there looks excellent choice too though a bit larger.
If these are still available, should be quite tough for cost :
http://www.uttings.com/?Categories/Optics/Binoculars/Browning/
Tough budget point you've set given the requirements and that you've probably been spoilt by that University binocular |:D|

Hello all,

I've just graduated and the university has taken my lovely swarofski 8x30's off me, well thiers technically but I've had them for 3 years.

I can't afford to replace them, but as I'm off working as a volunteer science officer for some conservation projects both marine and terrestrail-rainforest, I need lightweight small waterproof tough CHEAP binoculars for the job.

What can you guys recomend? I'm talking maybe $100 used.

Congratulations on graduating. Couldn´t you say you´d lost the Swaros, or something?;) Check out the second-hand section of Acecameras.co.uk and Warehouse Express, com, there´s always something there. New, I suppose there´s things like Avian Lites (8x28) from Ace (no, I don´t work for them, never been to Bath), Nikon Travelites, Opticron Targa, not sure of the prices but they´re highly recommended as small bins with good optics. Best of Luck, let us know what you get.

... for some conservation projects both marine and terrestrail-rainforest, I need lightweight small waterproof tough CHEAP binoculars for the job.

What can you guys recomend?

For the rainforest, it should meet two criteria:

- water-proof

- light gathering power. 8x30 would be practically useless.
8x40 should be you minimum, better 8x50 or 7x42, ....

Forest floors are dreadfully dim. Tropical forest the more so.

The rest is up to personal choice.

Tom

They would be good for the purpose, but they're not waterproof.

Michael.

Not so, they are 100% waterproof. Also armored and nitrogen filed. That's what the box mine came in says. They are a really good, bright and sharp binocular with a 420' FOV at 1000 yards and a 20mm eye relief and a 5 meter close focus. They weigh 17 ounces. Of course, they are Porro's but they do come in 3 colors. Mine are Ivory. They are easily the best budget priced binoculars made today. If you can live with 6x (and where you are going, it shouldn't matter much if they are 6x or 7x) you will love them. At their price, you can take 2 of them with you.
Good luck
Bob:hi:

Last edited:
Monarch 8x36 are pretty light weight. You are going to have to look hard for lighter at low price. I have an Eagle Optics 8x32, but can't say they are better than the Monarch. For $100 you can only get some reverse porros, 8x25, and they are not as fast as an 8x32 for quick looks. eye cups are too small.

Not so, they are 100% waterproof. Also armored and nitrogen filed.
Sorry, my mistake; I should have checked. Still, I'm glad I found out they're waterproof; I've been leaving them at home when it rains.

In that case I agree with Bob. Probably your best bet, if you can get them at a reasonable price. I bought mine on eBay for $72, so they should be buyable on your budget, if you're willing to risk buying from the US. If you are, check how long they'll take to come.

Michael.

Last edited:
Get Leupold Yosemite 6x30

I strongly support the suggestion of getting Leupold Yosemites. And if you get the 6x30 model, it should be fine for those dark forests. I know from experience that my 8x32 Leica Trinovids did not do their job under those conditions. I checked them today in comparison to some Leupold 6x30s that I just received, and the 6x30 clearly won! Sure, the objects are a bit smaller, but you can't have it all.

I had mine sent by air from the US, thus it should be possible for you as well. As prices are lower in the US, that should compensate for postage and customs/VAT. It took less than 4 days in my case. I got my batch (for our school) via eBay, but that seller seems to be out at the moment. However, I have had excellent experience with B&H in some other cases. At any rate, I would not have been able to get binoculars of comparable quality here in Switzerland for the total cost we had to pay. You might check my impressions in the Leupold thread under the 6x30 heading.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back