• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldguide for Texas (1 Viewer)

birdy001

Hi there,

I am planning to visit Texas next spring and was wondering if anybody could give me some advise about which field ID guide and bird finding guide is the best for Texas. I am planning to do a 3 week trip visiting the Texas coast, Rio Grande Valley, the Hill Country near Kerr and Uvalde and Big Bend NP. Any suggestions about good birding sites are very welcome.

I was recently birding in Texas and found "Birding Texas" by Wauer and Elwonger to be very useful. I picked up a copy at a Barnes and Noble in Houston (I was able to check on the internet which branch had a copy and put it on standby). My favourite US field guide is the Sibley guide, though it has its limitations and the National Geographic guide is also very good - I took both.

Tom

Jos,

Wauer & Elwonger is a good overall TX state guide. But for a 3-week trip to the coast, RGV and Hill Country, I strongly recommend the two relevant ABA birdfinding guides, which provide considerably more detail of the areas of interest to you:

• Cooksey & Weeks 2006. A Birder's Guide to the Texas Coast. 5th Edition.
  • Lockwood, McKinney, Paton & Zimmer 2008. A Birder's Guide to the Rio Grande Valley. 4th Edition.
My wife and I made a 3-week trip from Houston in Apr 2003, visiting Pineywoods, Coast, RGV and Edwards Plateau (Hill Country) – the above guides cover those areas very well.

The Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail maps were also useful:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/wildlife_trails/coastal

Best map is the DeLorme Texas Atlas & Gazetteer (1:400,000, with city maps at 1:50,000).

For a field guide, I agree with Tom's recommendation of Sibley (N American Bird Guide).

Lockwood & Freeman 2004 (TOS Handbook of Texas Birds) is a good reference for distribution, seasonality, abundance etc.

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Tom and Richard.

There seems to be a new Peterson out for the whole of N-America. Anyone who can recommend this book?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back