• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warham Greens - parking at Garden Drove (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

The concrete pad needs to be kept free of cars in front of the feed trailers. This is so that large, long trucks can drive on to it, turn and reverse to refill them.

A smaller tractor regularly removes one or more trailers, to take to the little piggies, so’s they can have their ‘daily bread’.

The gate, access to the various fields and the track back down to the coast road (the truck is VERY large) should also be left unobstructed.

Cars parked thoughtlessly/inconsiderately only make it difficult for the operators of this massive pig-rearing facility - who, in turn, could easily make it difficult for us.

Cars behaving nicely:

How the concrete pad should look - unlike yesterday, when cars were parked directly in front of the feeder trailers on the right of the photo.

How can anyone do this with farm equipment that's in obvious use, with hundreds of animals (that need feeding somehow) running around squealing in the adjacent field ? If they can’t see (and hear) those, how can they expect to see - or find, forsooth - any rare birds ?

Attachments

• P1550503pse.jpg
    P1550503pse.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 658
This could become so, so serious

I fear that common sense and care for others are in short supply on this matter.

Today, I heard that measures are being considered that would make it all but impossible for the majority of birders easily to access both Garden Drove and the middle track at Warham Greens. The easternmost track became ‘No access’ (no cars or walkers) several years ago.

If cars were unable to be left here, the nearest parking is miles away.

A minority of people are continuing to block the feeders. These need to be able to be pulled in and out at all hours of the day. If cars are in front of them, this cannot take place and the pigs cannot be fed.

The attached photo (taken recently) was sent to me by a friend. Presumably, its driver was unaware that, by parking there, he had blocked any farm vehicles (which regularly use the northern section of the Drove), or anyone parked at the northern end.

I must express my thanks to the person whose lamentable ignorance of human physiology led him to designate me an ‘anal orifice’ (I’m being euphemistically polite, here), after I’d explained the situation. I consider myself fortunate in the possession of this normally functioning body part - in contrast with his evidently less than minimal mental capacity.

It only serves to indicate the kind of uncouth oaf with whom we who live here have occasionally to contend and an attitude which could spoil birding in the vicinity for years to come.

Those people who leave the comfort of their leafy suburban semis and display utter cluelessness about the workings of our rural realms should have their passports to the countryside cancelled and their binocular licenses withdrawn.

HOW MANY MORE TIMES MUST THIS PLEA BE MADE ?

There are other plans (even more serious) being mooted, which are connected. I sincerely hope these do not come to pass: many rarities would then remain undiscovered and, thus, unseen, with these and other prime habitats inaccessible.

Attachments

• car blocking Drove N from concrete pad redacted.jpg
    car blocking Drove N from concrete pad redacted.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 912
Those people who leave the comfort of their leafy suburban semis and display utter cluelessness about the workings of our rural realms should have their passports to the countryside cancelled and their binocular licenses withdrawn.

Not sure blaming this on 'townies' is exactly winning hearts and minds as much as I sympathise with the issue.

There is a sign shown in post #3 - anyone know what it says? Although I particularly do not care for a vast array of signage anywhere in the countryside I do support the idea of something being required - but as we all know, it only takes one selfish or ignorant individual to mess things up for the majority.

I didn't think you were allowed to park on the concrete pad anyway? Obviously not on the road. So where are you supposed to park? (We parked on the other side of the main road on what we thought was a grass verge and got b*******d as it wasn't! So much for trying to park considerately.....)

I didn't think you were allowed to park on the concrete pad anyway? Obviously not on the road. So where are you supposed to park? (We parked on the other side of the main road on what we thought was a grass verge and got b*******d as it wasn't! So much for trying to park considerately.....)

You are not `supposed` to park anywhere there, ie there is no designated parking. It is a working farm and at the moment there is no objection from the landowner to park as long as farm activity is not disrupted. The pad is used for pig food containers that require access 24/7. From what I have been told over the last few days at least two idiots have upset farm workers doing their job (at least one from Norfolk). As John says this could be the last year that there is any access to the drove, as happened to the eastern drove a good few years ago. Again probably down to birders parking inconsiderately

This is appalling. Would love to know exactly who is intent on ruining access for everyone else. Selfish pricks.
I would have said this won't be the conduct of a local, but recent posts suggest otherwise.
Thanks John for alerting the community here. At least we can all be vigilant and aware when we next visit. If there is another time, of course.

Jim.

Don't forget that this is someone's patch, and lots of the good birds on Garden Drove are found by locals. So even if we retain access I guess, understandably, there'll be more suppression and we'll be reading about birds in the Bird Report rather than seeing them.

Stew

I would suggest that the photo in post 3 is not exactly how it should be. The two cars parked alongside the trailers are exactly where other trailers will be parked should they return from their feeding mission.
People must realise if there is nowhere suitable on the Drove to go to the east end of Wells or Stiffkey campsite and walk. Neither is that far and you might find something on the way

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back