• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (1 Viewer)

I saw my first banded demoiselles of the year today at Stiffkey along with blue tailed and common damselflies. This has to be the worst start to the dragonfly season I have ever known. I have 12 ponds I survey and as yet high water levels , strong winds and low temperatures have meant I have not been able to do them all yet this year. Looking better weather at the week end , but got to get the butterfly work out of the way first before I can even look at the ponds.

I am guessing few post on here any more as someone must have seen emperor dragonflies in Norfolk by now. Anyway saw my first 2 of the year this afternoon at Swanton Novers. The latest date for me to see my first by several weeks.

Last edited:
I haven't seen one but I'm told they've been seen at Strumpshaw - I did get Common Emerald damselflies emerging there yesterday.

I've had Emperor since last week at Queens Hills storm pond and then up to 6 last Monday afternoon after the rain at Sparham Pools on the field margins adjacent to the entrance track to the conservation area. Put the news out on Twitter but apols forgot to post here!

There's an Emperor now taken up patrol on the pond by the cafe at Thorpe St Andrew Business park, and at Beeston Common today I saw what was possibly a Southern Hawker (along with my first Common Darter)
Apparently Essex have had their first Willow Emerald emerge!

Single Brown Hawker at Queen's Hills storm pond this morning. First one I've seen there this year. Lots of Common Darter newly emerged (saw my first ones there last week) and a female Emperor was ovipositing.

Lesser Emperor

This is my first post.

I have added an attachment of a photo I took of a Lesser Emperor on July 21st at Blickling Lake Norfolk on the north side ( I had parked at the Fisherman's free car park) and saw this dragonfly in the reeds by one of the fishing posts. I have had it verified as a Lesser Emperor which I have never seen before. I hope this means it is becoming more prevalent in Norfolk.

Attachments

• unknown dragonfly2.jpg
    unknown dragonfly2.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 159
That's a female Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator)

Added later. The main features which make this an Emperor rather than Lesser Emperor (Anax parthenope) are green thorax (brown in Lesser) and green basal ring to S1 (yellow in Lesser)

Last edited:
Female Vagrant Emperor (Anax ephippiger)

Oops is this a female Vagrant Emperor (Anax ephippiger) or have I gone completely mad?

Only just got round to editting the photographs.

Burnham Overy Dunes Norfolk UK 25th October 2016

Attachments

• 001 Vagrant Emperor (Anax ephippiger) Norfolk UK GB October 2016 cp crs 130dpi.jpg
    001 Vagrant Emperor (Anax ephippiger) Norfolk UK GB October 2016 cp crs 130dpi.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Female Vagrant Emperor (Anax ephippiger)

Female Vagrant Emperor (Anax ephippiger) more details here if you want to take a look for it on the next warm day.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back