• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

I agree with silver-ground carpet as species
Looked up species in Norfolk Moths website to confirm so.
Have to admit it can be difficult to identify one carpet moth species from another.

Swallowtails

At least three at Strumpshaw today, including one, newly emerged, right by the Brick Hide. Lots of Painted Ladies, too!

Attachments

• Swallowtail 29 05 09 5.jpg
    Swallowtail 29 05 09 5.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Painted Lady, Strumpshaw, May 29 2.jpg
    Painted Lady, Strumpshaw, May 29 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
With the return of warm weather the painted lady migration has restarted. A slow trickle this morning increased to a steady flow mid afternoon and after 5.00 pm many settled down to feed and bask. An average of 4 per min at Swanton Novers , Norfolk between 2 and 4 pm Probably about 750 seen all day. Change in direction though with most heading north rather than the west movement on Sunday.

Painted ladies still trickling through with 53 at Swanton Novers to day. While most are still headding north many seem to flying in almost any direction.

Well, I checked along the New Cut from St Olaves to opposite Reedham - and the painted ladies definately weren't moving through there - only 5 seen all afternoon. Lots of common blues however, and my first Large Skipper of the year. (Also my first Black-tailed skimmers.)

Narbrough Train Line

Had a walk around the reserve with the camera this afternoon. The first insect i saw was a Cryptocephalus hypochaeridis. A few Common Blue were about with a few Painted Ladies, I also saw a single Red Admiral. Later I saw two Skippers flying pass i didn't get a good view off them but they were brown thats all i can say. I also saw these two cantharis rustica mating and a Hornet flew passed.

Photos-
1) cantharis rustica
2,3,4) Common Blue?
5) Cryptocephalus hypochaeridis

Attachments

• cantharis rustica.jpg
    cantharis rustica.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Common Blue.jpg
    Common Blue.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Common Blue002.jpg
    Common Blue002.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Common Blue003.jpg
    Common Blue003.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Cryptocephalus hypochaeridis.jpg
    Cryptocephalus hypochaeridis.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 115
Narbrough Train Line

I also saw these but i haven't a clue what they are but i now two of them are moths.

Attachments

• Narbourgh train line 001.jpg
    Narbourgh train line 001.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Narbourgh train line 010.jpg
    Narbourgh train line 010.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Narbourgh train line 011.jpg
    Narbourgh train line 011.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 145
Interesting you had a large skipper today Harrassed Dad. I was 90% sure i saw one at Swanton Novers on Friday , but it was only a quick glimpse so did not record it. Thats about 2 weeks early for my area.

Nine grizzled skippers but no dingies at Foulden Common yesterday pm
Only one swallowtail at Upton Fen this am (31 May)
(Full lists on recording form Harrassed Dad)

Norwich moth ID

Hi all.

Just starting running a moth trap and caught the moth with photos attached this morning. I would appreciate any thoughts on the ID. it was 26mm long and has the distinctive markings on the wing- one very clear '8' shaped and another just before it that is pale and worn. The leg colour is interesting- with a cream foreleg and darker hind legs going to paler tips.

it was caught with a portable 15w actinic skinner trap

iainhawk

Attachments

• DSCF3600-1.JPG
    DSCF3600-1.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF3656-1.JPG
    DSCF3656-1.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for the tip. i posted the picture there and the id was very swift. The moth is The flame, Axylia putris. even though Waring townsend and Lewington quote it as being 14-16mm long other sources give the size as 25-34mm long.

Robert, the green beetle is Oedemera nobilis, the first moth is a Latticed Heath
For your second, and for Iainhawk's I refer you to the Moth recorder at www.norfolkmoths.co.uk
(Since I'm rubbish at these little brown jobs.)

Sunday 31st May - Burnham Overy Dunes (TF 85 45)
In 3 hours in the dunes -
45 Painted Ladies - a mix of very pale specimens and some very fresh looking
12 - Wall Brown
12 - Common Blue
3 - Brown Argus
9 - Small Heath
4 - Small Copper

Tues 2nd June - Ringstead Peddars Way - TF 708 421 - a stretch of about 300 yards over 2 hours (while lurking for BW Pratincole!)
27 - Painted Ladies (more fresh looking individuals than pale ones this time)
7 - Speckled Wood
9 - Wall Brown
6 - Common Blue
4 - Small Heath
18- Large White

Regards,
Irene

Clouded Yellow reported on south bank breydon water on friday (and apparently one on the pagers from Cley at the weekend?)
New brood Red Admiral and Small tort also reported from various places.

On a walk along the back of Hickling from Potter church there were a number of black caterpillars on nettles hatching (Peacock?), two Tiger Moth caterpillars crawling across the path, and a few black "pimple" egg cocoons on reeds.

(pics attached)

James

Attachments

• caterpillarssmall.jpg
    caterpillarssmall.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Tigermothsmall.jpg
    Tigermothsmall.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 128
  • eggsmall.jpg
    eggsmall.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 127
Silver studded blues are now flying at Buxton Heath.
James, the caterpillars are peacocks - can't help with the egg though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back