• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk mammals (1 Viewer)

Sowerby's Beaked Whale

Incase people haven't already heard the weekend just gone two dead Sowerby's Beaked Whales washed up on the North Norfolk coast. 1 at Brancaster but the other I'm not sure of the location. Before they could be dealt with the tide took them out (not sure if they mean removed or scientific information gathered). Anyway, off the top of my head these two records represent the 4th and 5th for Norfolk following 1 washed up alive on blakeney point and then refloated and returned successfully in 2010. Last August 2 washed up within a day of each other: 1 at Thornham which was alive but soon put down and the other on scolt head.

Cheers,

Robert

FWIW male Muntjacs are known as bucks rather than stags. Stag is only referred to male Red, Fallow or Sika Deer all the rest Chinese Water, Roe and Muntjac are bucks.

Cheers,

Rob

Sorry but Fallow males are also bucks not stags. Did see a Muntjac near Weybourne a few weeks ago, only to see it (or another) flattened on the same bit of road :-C

Also had great views of a Chinese Water Deer at Rockland Broad on the way to the bird hide, along with some of my best views of an Otter I've had :t:

Today, Chinese Water Deer on Burnham Norton Marshes and what must be the corpse of one of the Sowerby's Beaked Whale on the beach at Scolt- about opposite House Hills.

Sorry but Fallow males are also bucks not stags. Did see a Muntjac near Weybourne a few weeks ago, only to see it (or another) flattened on the same bit of road :-C

Also had great views of a Chinese Water Deer at Rockland Broad on the way to the bird hide, along with some of my best views of an Otter I've had :t:

Quite right, my bad!

No, it’s not Stuart paying obeisance to The King, but preparing to photograph the cute, little fella below.

No, it’s not a shoe brush ! I just couldn’t ‘capture’ its snout.

It was snuffling and rooting away, happily oblivious to its audience of three.

Attachments

• 276pse.jpg
    276pse.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 267pse.jpg
    267pse.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 118
The Moose is loose

No, not a first for County !

This was in the middle of the car park field at West Runton (on 9th). As it is, I believe, a House Mouse Mus musculus and not a deer, it was far from any of those (houses).

Totally unfazed, it snuffled around, surprisingly difficult to photo, without intervening stems.

I believe it is fairly young and, therefore, not a Jerry-atric.

Attachments

• 024pse.jpg
    024pse.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 98
I think thats a juv field mouse John.

At least I got the family right !

And, it was in, to all intents and purposes, a field- for those who know West Runton. The re-ID as ‘Field Mouse’, therefore, would certainly make much more sense.

I’m afraid to say I don’t even own a book on British/European mammals- only South African and Thai.

And a Chinese cook-book of interesting recipes ! Anyone for mouse mousse ?

Brown Hare(Lepus europaeus) Colour variant.

Hopefully this may be of interest to one or two as many have never seen one of these Hares in this form.
Photographed this Mammal on and off since May of this year.
The image shown taken on the 08/09/12.
A very wary animal but over a period of time feel it has grown to accept my prescence to a certain degree.
The last time I witnessed one of these on this particular farm was approx four years ago.

Major.

Attachments

• Blue-Hare8.jpg
    Blue-Hare8.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
beautiful photo. What is this form? Haven't come across anything like this before. Is it really as grey as this photo suggests? Wondering how it looks in the sunlight...

Hopefully this may be of interest to one or two as many have never seen one of these Hares in this form.
Photographed this Mammal on and off since May of this year.
The image shown taken on the 08/09/12.
A very wary animal but over a period of time feel it has grown to accept my prescence to a certain degree.
The last time I whitnessed one of these on this particular farm was approx four years ago.

Major.

I am nor sure if this qualifies for Norfolk or Suffolk mammals (it was right on the border.) The other night we went to a meal at the White Lion, Wheatacre and just after we turned off at Haddiscoe we encountered three young deer standing in the middle of the road. At first I thought they were Chinese Water Deer but that didn't seem right as the legs were too long. They were definitely not Muntjacs or Red Deer so I wonder if they were Roe Deer. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience of these and didn't know what to look for. Does anybody know if Roe Deer are found in this area?

Ron

I am nor sure if this qualifies for Norfolk or Suffolk mammals (it was right on the border.) The other night we went to a meal at the White Lion, Wheatacre and just after we turned off at Haddiscoe we encountered three young deer standing in the middle of the road. At first I thought they were Chinese Water Deer but that didn't seem right as the legs were too long. They were definitely not Muntjacs or Red Deer so I wonder if they were Roe Deer. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience of these and didn't know what to look for. Does anybody know if Roe Deer are found in this area?

Ron

Hi Ron
I've never seen Roe Deer in the Haddiscoe area (where I live). Chinese Water Deer are increasingly common on the "uplands" away from the marshes where they are abundant and Muntjac are increasing too. I've also seen Red Deer by the A143 at Fritton recently and Fallow Deer occur on the Somerleyton estate. Will keep a look out.
Alison

RSPB led Bat walk round Surlingham Church Marsh last night. Cracking views of 2 Noctules at dusk hunting over the Yare, I initially mistook the animals for a Snipe. Echolocation frequencies proved me wrong. If anyone is interested, look towards Wood's End at around 6.30-7pm for these beasts!
The group also enjoyed views of Soprano Pipistrelle with Brown Long-eared. As the light faded, we picked up Common Pip and I had a brief Natterers, or so I believe.
A great evening in and amongst our local Bats.

Cheers,
Jim.

Roe deer used to be quite common at St Olaves when I lived there a couple of miles from Haddiscoe across the river. There are also a few present at present on the Ravingham Estate a few miles to the west. But the latter site also holds muntjac.

RSPB led Bat walk round Surlingham Church Marsh last night. Cracking views of 2 Noctules at dusk hunting over the Yare, I initially mistook the animals for a Snipe. Echolocation frequencies proved me wrong. If anyone is interested, look towards Wood's End at around 6.30-7pm for these beasts!
The group also enjoyed views of Soprano Pipistrelle with Brown Long-eared. As the light faded, we picked up Common Pip and I had a brief Natterers, or so I believe.
A great evening in and amongst our local Bats.

Cheers,
Jim.

Glad you enjoyed it, apologies for not responding to your text, didn't see it till the next day.
Matt has asked me to pass on his thanks to you for the help with the walk, he very much appreciated your knowledge!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back