• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins British Bird Guide (Collins Pocket Guide) Paperback – Abridged, 1 Jun 2017 (1 Viewer)

Given that the original release date was April 2016 do we have any faith in the new June 17 date?

What is this really? I understand that's a short version of the classic Svensson guide, correct? But, what is left out, are species entries shortened, or is it shorter because it containes less species? If the latter, would the book be still useful on the continent?

Just get the phone app instead.
I'd like to, but still no Android version...

Last edited:
My understanding is it is a cut down version for Britain only. So no continental only birds and also no rare vagrants, the entries are the same just fewer birds. It has a smaller page size and 256 pages rather than 416. Useful as a pocket guide in the UK but little use on continental Europe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back