• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great White Egret (Japan) Are these legs normal? (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
I don't think I've ever seen an egret with its toes / claws like this. Is this normal? It wasn't just a second or two, they were held in this position.

Attachments

• IMG_8330.JPG
    IMG_8330.JPG
    520 KB · Views: 87
The hind toes which are sticking up (I think), would usually be held closed with the others but the legs seem fine to me.

A

Hi Andy,

That's what I meant. I've taken photos of hundreds of these birds, but I don't think I've ever seen one of the toes sticking up like this. So, I wondered if it was normal or diseased or broken (but it would be weird if both feet had the same break.

The way the toes are held used to be claimed as a specific difference between Grey and Purple Herons, until someone pointed out it didn't work as it depended on the mood of the individual bird and varied a lot more than had been thought before. Likely this variability applies to Great Egrets too. Perhaps sticking the hind toe up could help in thermoregulation.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back