• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Las Vegas NV Need Help (1 Viewer)

jrcummins84

United States
I live in the east and my friend needed help with this Bird in Las Vegas Ive little western bird experience. Any ideas?

She says about pigeon sized rarely sees it fly, and like to bob and walk kinda like a turkey

Attachments

• 20248259_10104860314976850_4738797190072840627_o.jpg
    20248259_10104860314976850_4738797190072840627_o.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 120
Another one for Northern Bobwhite. Northern Bobwhites are usually found out East, so this one is almost certainly an escapee.

Absolutely a bobwhite dont know how he ended up there, I just got another pic No doubt THANKs for the help

Attachments

• 20424060_10104860826856040_4857125143883119307_o.jpg
    20424060_10104860826856040_4857125143883119307_o.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 58
Not sure your point can you clarify?

He means there is basically no chance that this is a wild bird (i.e. be part of a locally-established breeding population) but it must have recently escaped from a collection/been released etc. You therefore couldn't officially "count" this bird if you were for example submitting your life list to the American Birding Association (of course you can always count whatever you want for your personal list).

He means there is basically no chance that this is a wild bird (i.e. be part of a locally-established breeding population) but it must have recently escaped from a collection/been released etc. You therefore couldn't officially "count" this bird if you were for example submitting your life list to the American Birding Association (of course you can always count whatever you want for your personal list).

Why would I submit my friends sighting as my own, that doesnt make any sense. Seems like I am being put down here will keep that in mind and move on. Didn't know Birding was a hobby for those who have the time and the money.

In no way meant to put you down! Was using "you" in the sense of "one", I was not saying you would submit someone else's sighting as your own.

In no way meant to put you down! Was using "you" in the sense of "one", I was not saying you would submit someone else's sighting as your own.

OK sorry took something the wrong way.. thanks for clarifying Im not someone who does "Social" well and feeding the birds and getting into a hobby is new to me thanks for explaining.

Why would I submit my friends sighting as my own, that doesnt make any sense. Seems like I am being put down here will keep that in mind and move on. Didn't know Birding was a hobby for those who have the time and the money.

No one's putting you down or accusing you of claiming someone else's sighting as your own. Byronix was speaking generally as was I, with no criticism of either you or your friend intended.

Edit--
Oops, cross-posted with Byronix. Glad everything's been settled amicably. . .. ;)

Last edited:
At least here in the east, Bobwhite are sometimes raised in captivity and then released for hunting. So the possibility that some birds were transported for that reason is not out of the question ...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back