• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of optics are you giving for Christmas? (1 Viewer)

Super Dave

Well, for the most important person (me) I ordered a Docter 8x21 monocular. Yea baby.

Everybody else gets refurbished Chinese Nikon Acculons. ;) I picked up quite a few of the $20 Midway specials a couple of months ago. The nephews will be stoked.

I noticed that there are not as many "Binocular Bargains" with a hot economy. The last time I was into optics was 2010 and there were a lot more deals with the economy pulling out of the recession.

I'm already thinking about next year. My young nephews would probably get off on the Vortex 8X monocular if I can find some cheap.

What have been your best optic gifts?

Thanks,
Dave

Three EO

Three pairs from EO's closing sale: 6.5 and 8x porros and a pair of roofs.

Good luck with the Docter. My wife bought me one three Christmases ago and I think I like looking at it more than looking through it... ;-)
(probably because I like to keep my glasses on)

Last edited:
I gave my used but well cared for 7x36 Swift Eaglet as a Christmas gift but only after acquiring my Opticron 7x36 bga Classic. I also gifted a new Maven B3, but that was for a birthday. I've also given a few $100 and under small reverse porros to a few kids that I have been around that have taken an interest in the outdoors. I did gift myself for Christmas the other year a 7x42 Ultravid HD+.

This year I'm gifting a mid-level Canon lens to a young photo enthusiast... but no binoculars, and not even to myself. Guess I've been a bad boy and didn't make the list....

CG

Good luck with the Docter. My wife bought me one three Christmases ago and I think I like looking at it more than looking through it... ;-)

I knew I shouldn't have ordered it but couldn't help myself.

The bins were a huge success for the 3 nephews. One will use it in his truck to check out the waves...he's a surfer and kite surfing instructor. The younger nephews are in the 10 to 12 age range and it was a perfect gift for that age group.

I was totally wrong about the Doctor Monocular. That's the coolest piece of optics I've seen in a long time. It's significantly smaller than 8x20 compact bins and the optical quality is quite good. I'm on vacation right now and it's been in my pocket and it's getting a lot of use. All the guys I show it to are blown away and I even got a "wow" from my wife after she looked through it.

I looking forward to the demo/ closeouts for 2018. If you find any optics that would make a good, low cost gift, then please share the find.

Thanks,
Dave

For Christmas I gave away a Eagle Optics Denali 8X42 and a Ken Koffman field guide to one of my employees.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back