• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenko PRO 300 AF 1.4x Teleconverter (1 Viewer)

I am thinking of getting a Kenko PRO 300 AF 1.4x Teleconverter for Canon EOS. I will eventually get the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS (when funds allow). At the moment my longest lens is the Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 II.

My question is will the lens/teleconverter combo work.

Steve

I have just ordered a Kenko Pro converter and although I don't use it much I also have an EOS. If the converter ever arrives (I ordered it from Hong Kong on ebey) I will let you know but don't hold your breath as I've waited a couple of weeks so far........Dave

Hi Steve.I have this Converter and use it with my Sigma 135-400mm.It retains full autofocus as it did on my Canon EF 75-300mm (try it on yours).Its a great bit of kit and works really well with the 100-400 IS L lens but you have to tape the pins to retain AF.There are a few threads on here explaining how to do it.
I would recommend you get it from UR Galaxy on Ebay.They are based in China but they are half the price than they are from a dealer in the UK.The turnaround time when I got mine was six days from payment to delivery.

I have just ordered a Kenko Pro converter and although I don't use it much I also have an EOS. If the converter ever arrives (I ordered it from Hong Kong on ebey) I will let you know but don't hold your breath as I've waited a couple of weeks so far........Dave

Sorry to hear that Dave.Was it from UR Galaxy where I got mine?
I know a few people that have had them from there with no problems.

I have ordered the Kenko Pro 300 2.0x for my 40D, 70-300mm. I have seen articles about taping up the two contacts and will try if required.

I have ordered the Kenko Pro 300 2.0x for my 40D, 70-300mm. I have seen articles about taping up the two contacts and will try if required.

I feel I should point out (if you don't already know that is) that it seems a 40D will not AF well (if at all) when using the centre focus point if you have exceeded an f5.6 aperture with a TC, even if you tape the pins. Look back through the Canon pages and you should find quite a few threads for more detail regarding this issue.

Sorry if I've spoiled your day.
Jaff

Jaff is right as I have both the canon TE and the Kenco Pro both the 1.4 and on my 1 to 400 Canon ISL it will not AF at all and I don't like to tape the pins as you lose info fed back from the lens. However on my 1dm2n it will AF and send all info back but the AF is very slow and not what you would want for BIF. I have found the 40D and the 1 to 400ISL alone to be a great combo but not quite aas good as my 300F4 with a 1.4 on my 40D or any of my other bodies. However I still carry the 40D and the 1 to 400 where ever I go as the zoom is very flexable and I myself like the lens a lot.
One interesting thing I found is with the 40D and any of my F4 glass (300, & 500) I can get AF on a good day with stacked 1.4 TEs. Don't recomend it but it does work but the camera is fooled into thinking it has only one 1.4 on it and records all info as if it were shooting at 5.6
Lou

I was looking into buying the Kenko PRO 300 AF 1.4x Teleconverter. But after reading up on how the AF would not work at times. I just went for the Canon 1.4x to use with my 100-400 and 70-200.

I was looking into buying the Kenko PRO 300 AF 1.4x Teleconverter. But after reading up on how the AF would not work at times. I just went for the Canon 1.4x to use with my 100-400 and 70-200.

It isn't the converter that is the problem it's most Canon cameras, which will not autofocus at above f5.6. Taping the pins gets over this, but would be needed whatever converter is used(?).

I have tried the Kenko Pro converter on my Tamron 200-500 which is an f6.3 lens at 500mm and autofocus still works (but I have a Nikon camera, which doesn't stop AF at 5.6).

Hi,

I use this TC with taped pins with my EF 100-400 and EOS Rebelt XT (350D), and the AF works pretty well, though it does hunt a bit more. The IQ is pretty decent.

Thomas

Hi,
I use the Kenko Pro300 1.4x TC with my Canon 400mm F5.6/350D combination with the pins taped. AF works well most of the time, with the exception of poor light, low contrast situations when it fails to get a lock. Sometimes I can get round this by MF to somewhere near then going back to AF, but of course that's not practical in a lot of situations. I find IQ to be very good in good light.

I was planning an upgrade to a 40D, but now I'm worried. Does anyone have a link to the thread discussing this focussing problem? Does the 30D have the same problem?

Thanks

Martyn

Hi,
I use the Kenko Pro300 1.4x TC with my Canon 400mm F5.6/350D combination with the pins taped. AF works well most of the time, with the exception of poor light, low contrast situations when it fails to get a lock. Sometimes I can get round this by MF to somewhere near then going back to AF, but of course that's not practical in a lot of situations. I find IQ to be very good in good light.

I was planning an upgrade to a 40D, but now I'm worried. Does anyone have a link to the thread discussing this focussing problem? Does the 30D have the same problem?

Thanks

Martyn
I have used a converter (Canon and Kenko Pro) with pins taped and the 400mm f5.6 on the 350D, 30D and 40D all with different results.
On the 350D it would focus but not very well.
On the 30D it works very well indeed.
With the 40D it does not work very well when using the centre point only but works fine when using any other focus point.

As for overall focusing , the 30D was better than the 350D but not by much. But the 40D is a lot better than the 30D especially in low light.

If you are planning an upgrade from the 350D I would strongly recommend the 40D, it is a excellent camera, especially for bird photography (I still have my 30D as a 2nd body but do not use it anymore for bird shots)

I have used a converter (Canon and Kenko Pro) with pins taped and the 400mm f5.6 on the 350D, 30D and 40D all with different results.
On the 350D it would focus but not very well.
On the 30D it works very well indeed.
With the 40D it does not work very well when using the centre point only but works fine when using any other focus point.

As for overall focusing , the 30D was better than the 350D but not by much. But the 40D is a lot better than the 30D especially in low light.

If you are planning an upgrade from the 350D I would strongly recommend the 40D, it is a excellent camera, especially for bird photography (I still have my 30D as a 2nd body but do not use it anymore for bird shots)

Hello Roy,
what do you mean by "With the 40D it does not work very well"? I have assumed so far "it does not work at all" or is it just slow and hunting? Worse or better than with the 350D combo (a kit I know)?
Thanks,
Max

Hello Roy,
what do you mean by "With the 40D it does not work very well"? I have assumed so far "it does not work at all" or is it just slow and hunting? Worse or better than with the 350D combo (a kit I know)?
Thanks,
Max
Hi Max
I would say that when using with the centre point only with a taped tc and the 400mm f5.6 on the 40D it is almost a non- starter but I have manage to get it to AF on the odd occasion (never with a bird though) fair bit worse than with the 350D IMO.

I have tried it a few times by selecting one of the focus point near to the centre one and it works fairly well - probable as good as the 30D but it will take a bit of getting use to.

Roy,

this leaves me with a bit of thinking to do!

Clearly, the 40d is the best overall camera, but it sounds like I wouldn't be able to use AF with my TC and 400mm f5.6 lens, my most used combination!Alternatively, I could go for a 30D, save a bit of cash, still have AF with my TC, but wouldn't have as good a camera overall. Is this right?

Nothings ever simple, is it.

Thanks

Martyn

Roy,

this leaves me with a bit of thinking to do!

Clearly, the 40d is the best overall camera, but it sounds like I wouldn't be able to use AF with my TC and 400mm f5.6 lens, my most used combination!Alternatively, I could go for a 30D, save a bit of cash, still have AF with my TC, but wouldn't have as good a camera overall. Is this right?

Nothings ever simple, is it.

Thanks

Martyn
Martyn, you can use the tc and the 400mm f5.6 on the 40D but not with the centre focus point only selected (I use the one just above the centre point when I have a tc attached).

Like I say, I still have both the 30D and the 40D but cannot see my self ever going back to shooting birds with the 30D.

I will continue to use the 30D as a landscape/backup body.

I've just got myself a Kenko 1.4x TC for use with a Canon 400D and the 100-400mm. Quality is excellent. I was using it in low light, so it did hunt a lot (but it did auto focus). For some shots it was easer to use manual focusing. Somewhat hit and miss, but the hits were good. A bit more (with examples) over here.

Basically, I'm very happy with it, but will be selective about when I use it.

Last edited:
I had a Kenko PRO 300 for use with my 30D and 400mm f5.6L (taped pins) but sold it in favor of a plain old Tamron 1.4x converter (the cheapie one...). My results have been much better with the new Tamron because the lens/camera does not acknowledge the presence of the converter. AF is excellent in all but the dimmest lighting conditions, and the IQ is superb. I'm quite pleased...

Chris

Mike from Ebbw - took your advice and ordered a Kenko tele on Thursday and got it today. Like you 6 days turn around. Thanks for recommending ur galaxy they came up trumps. Now got to try it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back