• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compromise binocs (1 Viewer)

Not that Bob

Hello folks! My first post here. Please be kind to the newbie. :D

I would like to spend about $500 on a pair of binocs that I will use for birding, but would also like to use them at football games. From what I can tell I am at cross purposes in this quest...needing a narrow field for birding, but a larger field for viewing my team from the stands. Is it possible to get a "compromise" that would serve my purposes? Oh, I wear glasses so need to take that into consideration.

Thank you for your time.

hi Not that Bob and welcome to the forum

I'm a little confused as most birders like a wide field of views. I presume you want something not too big? I'd imagine some of the compact 8x20's from the likes of Nikon, Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski might fit the bill? They'll easily fit in a jacket pocket.

Hi Bob,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I would certainly get as wide a field of view as possible for birding. Just try out different bins and buy the one that suits. Could be useful to judge whether your team makes that first down!

Not that Bob said:

I would like to spend about $500 on a pair of binocs that I will use for birding, but would also like to use them at football games. From what I can tell I am at cross purposes in this quest...needing a narrow field for birding, but a larger field for viewing my team from the stands. Is it possible to get a "compromise" that would serve my purposes? Oh, I wear glasses so need to take that into consideration.

Thank you for your time.
i think a pair of 7x32s would be your best choice. i'll leave the manufacturer up to you because its a choice that shouldnt be rushed. see ya.

salty said:
i think a pair of 7x32s would be your best choice. i'll leave the manufacturer up to you because its a choice that shouldnt be rushed. see ya.

Shows you what a newbie knows! I had been told that narrow field was what I needed for birding. Glad you folks gave me the more accurate info.

Bob,
If the binos don't need to be waterproof or pocket-sized, one fine candidate could be the Nikon 8x30EII. It has a very wide field, maybe the most versatile magnification and excellent optical quality - and they should be about $300 or even less(?). Just make sure that the binos are comfortable for you to handle.

Ilkka

Bob,

do you have a size preference? I assumed you'd want something you could easily slip into a jacket pocket.

pduxon said:
Bob,

do you have a size preference? I assumed you'd want something you could easily slip into a jacket pocket.

Thank you all for the replies.

Dear "Quacked up member",

I don't have to have waterproof, but I may get caught in the rain at a football game...not very often. I would like relatively light but I don't require extremely small size. Here in Austin it is mostly hot so a jacket pocket is only available about one week per year. :bounce:

Hold on, didn't Bob say he wears glasses? (only 13mm eye relief on those Nikons?) I know his first post suggested he feared the Inquisition, but maybe we should be systematically prodding him for a bit more info after all? :eek!:
Just off to fetch my black cape...

Hi Not That Bob,

The Orion (telescope.com) Savannah roof prism binoculars are very good and they are a bit over $300 USD. I have the 8x42 Savannah. It works very well. Nice images. No problem using while wearing glasses. They are water and beer proof. ;-)

You may find the more compact 8x32 Savannah would be better for your needs.

Good luck,
Rich

If you can try the Nikon EII, I would do so. I wear glasses and have no lack of eye on those bins - in fact when I use them I try to place them a little bit away from my glasses as it makes it easier to keep them lined up properly so you can actually see through them. When doing so I can see the entire field of view of the binoculars. (I personally find Swift Audubon 820 porros more comfortable but the Nikons are perfectly usable for me. The Swifts also have a good wide field of view, but are bulkier, and are not waterproof in any practical sense - despite being marked as such).

normjackson said:
Hold on, didn't Bob say he wears glasses? (only 13mm eye relief on those Nikons?) I know his first post suggested he feared the Inquisition, but maybe we should be systematically prodding him for a bit more info after all? :eek!:
Just off to fetch my black cape...

I think it is unnecessary - after spending some time on this forum and learning to understand all the defects of the optics (like blacking-outs, chromatic aberrations, small sweet spots, mechanisms of stiff/loose/slow/fast focusing, smell-of-tires, distortions - you name it)... well, I think there is enough punishment for Bob - and by then he is already one of us ;)

Ilkka

mcdowella said:
If you can try the Nikon EII, I would do so.
I’d second that. In your search you certainly owe it to yourself to see how an excellent porro feels and performs. How close fitting your glasses are might be a factor as to how well these work for you.
As regards football and birding, don't believe there is any conflict between requirements as regards field of view; more is pretty much always better as long as it is of acceptable quality. Astronomers are a bit fussy about the field being sharp to the edge and quite often would choose to have the black of the field stop or a baffle rather than a badly distorted image towards the edges. Maybe your friend was suggesting that higher magnification would be better for football? Wonder if you've used binoculars at football games before and what you've found?
At some sporting events there may be situations where you want to hold the binocular to the eye for an extended time (OK so football isn't horse racing). If so and it is high powered without image stabilisation and/or a bit on the heavy side you'd probably want some means of supporting it. Maybe someone can advise. On the other hand, if you opt for a mid-sized binocular at under one and a half pounds you might be happy to use that without support.
Some birding activities such as raptor watching are often said to benefit from a bit of extra magnification over the norm. Also birding in the low light of early morning or late evening may benefit from the extra light gathering ability of say an 8x42. However, the 8x30/8x32 that folks are recommending tend to have good field of view, are lightweight and bright and are popular these days with good reason.
They're an excellent place to start you're search. Also might be worth looking at one of the smaller Canon IS binoculars or the slightly over budget Nikon SE 8x32 which have their own devotees.

iporali said:
I think it is unnecessary - after spending some time on this forum and learning to understand all the defects of the optics (like blacking-outs, chromatic aberrations, small sweet spots, mechanisms of stiff/loose/slow/fast focusing, smell-of-tires, distortions - you name it)... well, I think there is enough punishment for Bob - and by then he is already one of us ;)

Ilkka
Sorry Ikka; must've been composing my post while you posted yours. Hope you feel I was gentle enough; the black and red capes must be in the wash...

Norm

Not that Bob said:

Thank you for your time.

Bob,

Call Eagle Optics. They can make several recommendations based on their experience with many types of customers. The EO line is quite good and there are other choices available. If you're going to be using them a lot at games (held to your eyes for long periods), stick with a lower power that has a wide field. At a football game, I'd use my 6X32 EO Ranger with a 400' FOV. It's light at 18 ounces, very compact, and has decent optics. The 8X32 SE would also be a superb choice (lightweight, excellent optics, wide FOV).

John

Last edited:
Not that Bob said:

Thank you for your time.

Hi Mr. Bob,

I think you have an important decision to make. Although you wear glasses, — MUST you wear them? If it's simply a magnification problem many folks (like me) find it more enjoyable to take them off and view naked. o:) The binoculars will compensate for the magnification correction. However, if you suffer serious astigmatism, then you will need to wear your glasses, and eye relief becomes a very critical factor that can make or break your enjoyment. In this case, you've got to try them before buying, and I'd even pay more for that option.

Best of luck,
elkcub

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back