• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D800 service (1 Viewer)

Neil

I've been a little bit disappointed with the results from D800 on my long lenses, especially the 500/4 AFS , so I took it in to Nikon today and asked them to check it with the 300/4 AFS ( my most used lens ).
They checked it while I waited and came back after 15 mins and said that the lens was ok but the camera AF was way off. I would have to leave it for about 3 weeks and the cost would be about US$120.
I'm wondering now if the AF has been off since I bought it 14 months ago?
Neil

My D800E is awaiting repair right now. I have the problem with the left AF sensor but the center sensor is so sharp I did not want to consider repair. It's the end of the warranty period so I am having it repaired now.

The D800/E is so spectacularly sharp that I would definitely have yours repaired. The cost is not too bad. Sorry to hear you are talking about a 3 week project.

Even with slightly off focus, the D800 has resolution that could make images look acceptable. Chances are this is something that came up in normal use rather than at purchase. I have not heard of this type of issue on any new cameras - just the left AF issue. It can happen and is typically a minor repair.

My D800E is awaiting repair right now. I have the problem with the left AF sensor but the center sensor is so sharp I did not want to consider repair. It's the end of the warranty period so I am having it repaired now.

The D800/E is so spectacularly sharp that I would definitely have yours repaired. The cost is not too bad. Sorry to hear you are talking about a 3 week project.

Even with slightly off focus, the D800 has resolution that could make images look acceptable. Chances are this is something that came up in normal use rather than at purchase. I have not heard of this type of issue on any new cameras - just the left AF issue. It can happen and is typically a minor repair.

Eric,
What concerned me was that they said it would take 3 weeks because they had to take it apart to fix it. I've had repairs done before but never 3 weeks. I'm suspecting they are having to replace a module/part that they had to get from Japan.
Neil.

Three weeks is normal here in the US. I just received my camera back - 15 days including shipping. I worked through a local Nikon Authorized shop, but know of another photographer that had exactly the same timeline.

I'd have it repaired whatever the time that's required. AF is something that can be a real problem. The good news is that in some situations you can improve focus with Live View which used Contrast Detect AF.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back