• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Project sees highest number of fledged Hen Harriers (1 Viewer)

^monet^

"As part of efforts to conserve Hen Harriers, 21 estates across Scotland have now joined the Heads Up for Harriers project in 2017.

This year has seen a bumper number of 37 young successfully fledging from nests located on 7 of the 21 participating estates. This is the highest number of fledged birds ever for the Partnership for Action Against Wildlife Crime Scotland (PAW) Scotland project, led by Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH). " http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/C...r-of-fledged-Hen-Harriers.aspx?s_id=829967093

all those, who tnink the petitions for the banning of driven grouse a waste of time ,take note the government now act and try to please, i live on the edge of the north Yorkshire moors can remember a hen harrier roost near scaling dam reservoir, hauntin aand quite mesmerising to see . alas no more,perfect habitat they should be here ,i want to take my son to see the sights i saw but cannot, because a minority few want to shoot grouse , so keep petitioning keep banging on,till we are rid of thees sycopaths

all those, who tnink the petitions for the banning of driven grouse a waste of time ,take note the government now act and try to please, i live on the edge of the north Yorkshire moors can remember a hen harrier roost near scaling dam reservoir, hauntin aand quite mesmerising to see . alas no more,perfect habitat they should be here ,i want to take my son to see the sights i saw but cannot, because a minority few want to shoot grouse , so keep petitioning keep banging on,till we are rid of thees sycopaths
A number of Hen Harrier roosts have vanished from our area and the Eastern side of the Dales as you say just so a few can play with their guns.

"As part of efforts to conserve Hen Harriers, 21 estates across Scotland have now joined the Heads Up for Harriers project in 2017.

This year has seen a bumper number of 37 young successfully fledging from nests located on 7 of the 21 participating estates. This is the highest number of fledged birds ever for the Partnership for Action Against Wildlife Crime Scotland (PAW) Scotland project, led by Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH). " http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/C...r-of-fledged-Hen-Harriers.aspx?s_id=829967093

Some positive news there.
I listened to a programme on Radio 4 a year or two ago about the Langholm project. They interviewed the head gamekeeper who was fully signed up to the project and explained how they had a freezer full of dead chickens. They were regularly putting food out for the Hen Harriers at feeding posts.
When I mentioned it on another forum someone the project at Langholm had now ceased.

Last edited:
Some positive news there.
I listened to a programme on Radio 4 a year or two ago about the Langholm project. They interviewed the head gamekeeper who was fully signed up to the project and explained how they had a freezer full of dead chickens. They were regularly putting food out for the Hen Harriers at feeding posts.
When I mentioned it on another forum someone the project at Langholm had now ceased.
Maybe slightly better news but in reality how many should have bred. No birds in our part of England which could support over 200 pair of birds.

Maybe slightly better news but in reality how many should have bred. No birds in our part of England which could support over 200 pair of birds.

Presumably all 21 estates had suitable habitat. Was there any indication on why 14 of them saw no successful nesting harriers?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back