• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wasp problem at feeder (1 Viewer)

daltonjj

Several hummers have tried to feed but are driven off by several wasps (or bees) on the feeder. How do I get rid of the wasps (bees)?
Jerry

daltonjj said:
Several hummers have tried to feed but are driven off by several wasps (or bees) on the feeder. How do I get rid of the wasps (bees)?
Jerry

I have tried everything, vicks, vinegar, cooking oil, spraying the ports down with water a few times a day....nothing affects the honey bees - if they can reach into the ports they WILL. And my problem was ONLY with HONEY BEES. I have heard success stories with the saucer type feeders though like Hummzinger because the nectar is far down on the bottom of the saucer the bees can't reach. I will try one of these next year.

Hi Jerry and CW,

Saucer-type feeders work very well to discourage bees,wasps,etc.,because they can't reach the sugar water. Plus,they are VERY easy to clean.

Cheers, Bob in Ky.

ultra.gif

Please do not use cooking oil, vicks and similar products on or near a bird feeder. The oils, if they get on the feathers, can be harmful to the birds.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

bobky said:
Hi Jerry and CW,

Saucer-type feeders work very well to discourage bees,wasps,etc.,because they can't reach the sugar water. Plus,they are VERY easy to clean.

Cheers, Bob in Ky.

ultra.gif

I use something similar to this and it works great. The bees still buzz around, but they can not get to the nectar, so they don't stay long, and they don't "fight" for it. My hummers have no problem with them. Also, I have one of my feeders suction cupped way up high on one of my windows.. and the ants have not been able to find it or feed from it....make it very nice.... and great view of the hummers too!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back