• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collared Dove being childish? (1 Viewer)

SimonC

Still listing - I'll capsize one day
It's just started snowing here (about 1/2 hr ago) & I've just been watching a collared dove outside work flying up from it's usual perch on top of a lamp-post, and doing an impression of a flycatcher with the snowflakes then go back to it's perch!
It did this 6 or 7 times whilst I was watching, was it just 4rsing about? :bounce:

I guess how we interpret this is entirely up to us. That said I quite like to think that you're right. If I had wings I'd do the same myself.

There didn't seem to be any reason for it's behaviour. It wasn't particularly windy, so it wasn't that it was trying to take off into the wind and failing!
It was similar to a display flight, just very short, flappy & slow and going back to it's original position. I wish I'd had my digicam with me to get a short .mpeg of it 'cos it was weird :D

Oh well, I'll put it down to "High spirits" & leave it at that (it's better than some dry 'n' dusty scientific explanation anyway ;) )

Cheers

pduxon said:
Is this proper snow? or is it south East England a few flakes snow?

It lasted about 1.5 hrs & dumped a cm or 2 on the cars but the roads were too wet for any major headaches. There's always tonight though!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back