• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory Compacts (1 Viewer)

galwayguy

I am thinking of getting a pair of these primarily because I want a shirt pocket binocular. I have read a post here dated from 2011. Are there any other options that aren't more expensive & just as small/light ?

I am thinking of getting a pair of these primarily because I want a shirt pocket binocular. I have read a post here dated from 2011. Are there any other options that aren't more expensive & just as small/light ?

Zeiss makes less expensive ones in their Conquest Series. They are about an ounce lighter and have double hinges which do not have 180 degree stops on them and folding rubber eye cups.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeissconquest522033

And they have a somewhat narrower field of view than the Victory has.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=522035

Bob

Last edited:
Zeiss makes less expensive ones in their Conquest Series. They have double hinges which do not have 180 degree stops on them and folding rubber eye cups.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeissconquest522033

And a somewhat narrower field of view than the Victory has.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=522035

Bob

Thanks. I am thinking of the 10x25 as I live by the sea & view a lot at distance. I am surprised to see that the Conquests are lighter than the Victorys. Also the price difference is pretty small at around 10% on ebay.

Last edited:
Try them both of them if it is possible. That is the standard advice but it is often impractical or impossible to follow.:smoke:

I have an 8x20 Victory which I like very much but a friend of mine has had a 10x25 Conquest for years and he is very happy with it. The eye cups are larger and friendlier on a 10x25 than on an 8x20.

Bob

Last edited:
I like the hinge design on the Victorys. They probably feel a bit strange at first but I like the way that they fold. There are few downsides in living in the West of Ireland but my nearest dealer is a long way away :)

I like the hinge design on the Victorys. They probably feel a bit strange at first but I like the way that they fold. There are few downsides in living in the West of Ireland but my nearest dealer is a long way away :)

The hinge design on the Victory certainly makes it faster to find your IPD and start focusing on your subject when you open it to use it than with the Conquest.:t:

Bob

Thanks. I am thinking of the 10x25 as I live by the sea & view a lot at distance. I am surprised to see that the Conquests are lighter than the Victorys. Also the price difference is pretty small at around 10% on ebay.

In my opinion that should make the Victory a bargain!:t:

Check out the case that comes with it. One with a leather case will cost more than one that comes with a cordura fabric case.

Bob

Hi Galway Guy

I have had a pair of Victory Compact 8x20s for 3 years now and they sit next me on my work station at home.

I really like the hinge arrangement and they are in use almost every day.

Zeiss has just announced new folding pocket binoculars under their Terra brand including a 10x25 which will be significantly cheaper than the Victories. However they have twin hinges so are a different concept.

I agree with all of Bob's comments and highly recommend the Victories.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back