• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl Zeiss Dekarem 10x50 Cleaning (1 Viewer)

costin1983

Could anyone help me removing the oculars of my CZJ Dekarem 10x50 binoculars? I have removed a single screw and a small plate where the interpupilary distance can be set up and after that I don't know what to do. The bins doesn't have any other cap at the other end of the shaft.

On the other hand I could remove the objectives and doing that I could fix the collimation problem I had for a couple of years.

Kind regards,

Hi. On virtually all Zeiss Jena binoculars, including your Dekarems, the oculars lift off after you have removed the central locking disk, which lies beneath the IPD plate. The locking disc on all models up to about 1985 is silver in colour and has two holes in it for a pin spanner/wrench. But look carefully and you will see a 1mm grub screw which has to come out before the disk will turn. You will need a 1mm slothead screwdriver to remove it. If it won't come out or you chew the head off, just drill it out with a 1mm or 1.5mm drill. Then unscrew the circular plate, using either a pin wrench or, if you don't have one, circlip pliers, which will usually be OK. With the disk off, the oculars simply lift of the shaft (but they may be a bit stiff so take it easy.) Also make sure that you don't lose the thin blue steel washers also on the shaft between each arm - they help maintain the tension on the arms and keep everything straight. Then clean the oculars, making sure you wipe off all the heavy grease around the lenses or it may smear onto them. Then re-assemble. Line up the tiny 1mm hole with its corresponding hole if you can. Or do like they did in the factory and just get the disk suitably tight and drill a fresh hole for the 1mm grub screw. Or if all else fails, use a little threadlock on the disk thread. Hope that is OK for you.
Regards,
Clive

I have also have Dekarem binoculars and need to remove the oculars for cleaning. My binoculars are from the late eighties and the method described by Clive doesn't seem to apply. Any advice on removal appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_222731.jpg
    IMG_20200510_222731.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20200510_222845.jpg
    IMG_20200510_222845.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 37
Astrobat. The plain black disc in the middle between the oculars has to be gently prised off.
A little heat from a hair dryer may help to soften the glue.
Then Clive's advice can be followed.

Thank you @richard866945. Have now managed to remove the oculars. I ended up using a soldering iron to heat the glue up so I could remove the disc.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back