• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

. Large IPD 10×25 binocular (1 Viewer)

Binastro

. While sorting out a binocular to lend to a friend for projecting the sun's image for March 20, I realised that it had a large IPD.

It is a well used Sam Yang 10×25 roof prism binocular with green rubber armour. It is well made and optically good even though only a few surfaces are coated. Possibly made in the 1990s?

Most of the markings on the main bridge are worn off, but I can read 96 m and five point something degrees field, it will probably be 5.5°. It also says made in Korea, but this is half worn off.
On the front small bridge it says SamYang, which is not at all worn.

This binocular cost less than a fiver in a charity shop a few years ago.

What is interesting is that the inter-pupillary distance varies from 33 mm to 92 mm.

There was a thread a little while ago asking about binoculars with wide IPD, but I can't remember where this thread is. The above binocular seems to fit the bill.

Does it have double hinges without stops on them like the Leica Trinovids do? My 8x20 Trinovid will extend out to an 87-88mm IPD. Closed it is about 33mm.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob,
Yes, it has no stops and double hinges.
I had to clean it up as it lies around on the desk.

CORRECTION.

I had another look at the binocular, and in fact there are stops when the binocular is fully open at 180°. The binocular will not fold back on itself, but the maximum IPD possible, namely 92 mm is achieved.

A person with 92 mm IPD must have pretty good stereo vision.

Last edited:
That is a fantastically wide IPD. My IPD is right around 74 and I find that I can't use about 2/3rds of the binoculars on the market. Some binos go out to 75-76, but only a few of the current production models open any wider than that.

My father-in-law has an IPD of 84mm. So far I've only found two binocs to
fiit him, a double-hinged 6x16 and a double-hinged 8x21.

The Nikon 10x25 LX L has stops at 180º. The maximum IPD I can measure on it is about 80-81mm which is pretty wide!

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back