• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Mag x Aperture for a do-it-all roof prism bino? (1 Viewer)

Saturninus

8x42 or 10x42 or 10x50?

What magnification would you choose for an all-around binocular that you might use for both birding and astronomy?

I've got a Canon Image Stabilized 15x50 that I consider my dedicated large aperture bino for astronomy. I've got an small 8x30 porro that I consider my lightweight bino for viewing scenery and hiking.

I need a do-it-all binocular in the middle that I can sometimes use for hiking, sometime uses use for astronomy, but probably use for birding most often.

Given the other two binoculars in the collection, what spec would you go with? I'm leaning towards 10x42, but I find it hard to give up the extra aperture of the 50....

8x42 or 10x42 or 10x50?

What magnification would you choose for an all-around binocular that you might use for both birding and astronomy?

I've got a Canon Image Stabilized 15x50 that I consider my dedicated large aperture bino for astronomy. I've got an small 8x30 porro that I consider my lightweight bino for viewing scenery and hiking.

I need a do-it-all binocular in the middle that I can sometimes use for hiking, sometime uses use for astronomy, but probably use for birding most often.

Given the other two binoculars in the collection, what spec would you go with? I'm leaning towards 10x42, but I find it hard to give up the extra aperture of the 50....

I would choose an 8x42 with a wide FOV. Personally, I own both a Nikon M7 and a Zeiss SF, both of which I have used for astronomy. :smoke:

I don't know anything about astronomy but I find my 10x56 does a pretty good job on Jupiter's moon and my 8x42s much more of a struggle. The down side is the weight of course. I suspect the best compromise I've seen is the Vortex Razor HD 10x50 at 28.1oz. It's superb in daylight, and I'm it sure wouldn't disappoint at night.

David

For birding probably 8x42. I love the 10x views, but it's harder to get them focused properly.

For astronomy, more magnification and aperture means more objects. My lousy 12x50's seem to see more stuff than the other 50mm binoculars, though I haven't tested scientifically.

It just depends on where you find a balance.

Have you ever considered big binoculars? Really like mine for astronomy.

It's hard...first impulse is 10x42, but that can be too shaky for some people,
and too strong for nearby birds. If you watch the birds closer than 150 ft,
8x40 or 8x42 is great. More than that, and 10x40 or 10x42 would give you
some extra detail, esp. at night.

The ~40mm is a compromise. Day binocs can do almost anything at 30mm,
but for astro, 10x50 is most common (handheld).

8x42 or 10x42 or 10x50?

8x42.

I use 7x50's for birding. 7 for birds, 50 for astronomy, is kind of how I look at it.

But I don't think any of my (older) 50mm binoculars could hold a candle to my 15x70's even though I've heard that the aperture is restricted. I haven't tested a lot, but I don't think it is close.

I know you want roofs, but I think you should consider a 15x70. I think I might take that and a 7x20 for birds.15x70 would be a big advantage in backcountry dark skies imo. Celestron and Oberwerk weigh 3 lbs, not bad.

8x42 or 10x42 or 10x50?

I've got just three words for you, Benjamin, just three words: Nikon... 10x42... SE.

24 oz. robust for a Porro, excellent egos, sharp edge-to-edge, and great as a dual purpose birding/astro bin. "Splash-proof" but not WP.

10x50s are great for astronomy, but too heavy and bulky for birding. So you're leaning in the right direction. Try to get a 050xxx sample, which has Nikon's latest coatings for better contrast.

brokenroller

Ah - the illustrious Nikon 10x42 SE. You would think with how many times that model comes up in discussions of best binos, Nikon would wise up and restart production.

If I ever come across one, I will definitely pounce on it. The lack of waterproofing does pose a problem, however. I live in a really humid environment, and I occasionally drive to the top of a mountain to stargaze where the temps can get close to freezing, then drive back down to warm, humid sea level conditions a couple hours later. I think this would result in apocalyptic condensation problems inside the bino if I am not careful.

Saturnius,

If you lived here in Northern Europe, I could sell you my 10x42 SE for a fair price, since it mainly gathers dust while I use a Canon 10x42 IS L.

But when I have used the SE, it has been in freezing cold as well as rainy summer days, and it has never had problems with inner condensation.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back