• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you recommend binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Hi wishicouldfly,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

I have moved your post to a subforum where it will get more views.

Do you have a budget in mind for the bins?

Hi. People can provide you with a better answer if you provide more information. What kind of birds and under what conditions will you be viewing (geographic, time of day, weather)? What is your budget? Do you wear eyeglasses? Weight, size preferences? How big are your hands? Do you have any binoculars now? Do you have experience with binoculars?

Ditto to everything the above two posters posted. The more info you provide the easier it is to provide recommendations.

Binoculars are pretty individual to choose. Light weight is typically an advantage. So is waterproof. See your local sports store. The ones that cater to hunters will have some cheap store brand. Try 8x first. I have a scope, so rarely carry my 10x anymore. You may have a Wildbirds store in your town. They often carry binoculars.

Since I don't know exactly what "inexpensive" means to you, I will just make some suggestions for what I would consider an average interpretation of inexpensive. For under $100, look at the Leupold Yosemite in either 6x or 8x (most people would get the 8x - don't get the 10x). Excellent view for the price, and in a small enough of a package to make it handy to have around, and easy to hang from your neck for long periods of time. These also come with a very comfortable neckstrap. If you by chance think you need a larger objective lens, then see if you can find the Olympus EXPS1 8x40 on ebay. You can find a review of these on the allbinos website. They have the sharpest view of any bino I've ever seen in this price range. As the 40mm would suggest, they are also substantially larger and heavier than the Yosemite. They used to sell for as low as $50 on ebay, and can sometimes be found for under $100.

For under $150, look at the Vortex Raptor in either 6.5x or 8.5x. These are very similar in size/shape/view as the Yosemite, but are IMO a more handsome bino than the Yosemite. Vortex is known to have very good customer service (as does Leupold). IIRC, the Raptor also weighs less than 20oz., so like the Yosemite it handles very nicely, and hangs from the neck very nicely as well.

For under $200, look at the Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32. You can read a tremendous amount about this one here on the forum. It is one of the few roof-prism binos under $200 that I would consider owning. It does everything very well, and even better than many other binos that cost more. I especially like it's size/shape/weight. A good place to get one is Optics Planet, where you can often get a 10% off coupon if you get on their mailing list. This brings the price down closer to $150 than to $200.

Sadly, there are a few persons here that like to attack someone who recommends a low-priced bino. But in reality, the binos listed above perform extremely well given their price points, and will serve you well for many years - certainly long enough for you to eventually determine through experience what size/type of bino you will one day spend big money on. If you determine that you can spend more money than the ranges I've listed, please post this and I and many others can make additional good suggestions.

Very nice set of recommendations.
For some, $400 is "inexpensive", for others it hurts.
I can't see someone starting with Yosemites being disappointed at all,
and if they do move on to $500 some day, the under-$100 won't make much difference to the pocket,
and you'll have something nice when you don't dare risk the expensive ones.

The 8x30/E's are a phenomenal deal if you want $1500-like performance for under $500, of course..

Hello - I'm new to birding and looking for an inexpensive set of binoculars. Any suggestions?

From my "ethereal" bino book:

". . . When considering the purchase of a new binocular, or comparing binoculars with a friend, people invariably ask, “Which is better?” When this happens, even a knowledgeable mentor can be at a loss for words, as the question calls for many answers—many more than the questioner had considered.

Still, the new binocular buff finds the phrase cropping up again, and again, with respect to aperture, magnification, prism type, anti-reflective coatings, type of focus mechanism, and more. The list may drag on as the observer tries to decide which features are most important to his or her viewing pleasure and which are being described accurately. Even so, without the potential buyer stating definite preferences—on which he or she usually has yet to decide—the answer is elusive.

The first thing one must decide is just what constitutes “good,” “better,” or “best.” Is it light grasp, aberration control, weight, glare suppression, color rendition, watertight integrity, near perfect collimation, or any one of MANY other considerations?"

Binocular shopping should be fun; it should not be frustrating. Still, you should have a baseline of preferences and expectations before the hunt begins.

Good luck and welcome! :t:

Bill

Hello - I'm new to birding and looking for an inexpensive set of binoculars. Any suggestions?

A good quality inexpensive pair of binoculars to start out with would be Nikon Aculon in either 8x42 or 7x35 size. They will work great for a wide variety of birding situations and could be used for observing the night sky as well. Of the two I would pick 8x42 but the 7x35 will be a bit lighter at the expense of a bit less magnification and somewhat smaller objectives.

Welcome to Birding!

I almost always get the old stuff but I've heard a lot of good things about the Nikon Aculon. The travelites can be under $100, too.

My old travelites have a really nice view, but a smaller exit pupil can be a bit harder to use, so I'd probably recommend a 7x35 or 8x42 or similar.

I have been using old 7x50's almost exclusively recently. I got Swift Skippers for my birthday, and a pair of Made in Occupied Japan 7x50's that I love. Even old Tascos can be good , I think the JT-II stickers are the key. Many/most need work, a lot of which you can do yourself.

It's hit or miss, but I've gotten good binoculars for under $20 shipped. But you can end up with a bit of a mess at that price, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back