• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Encouraging young bird watchers (1 Viewer)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello all,

Today, I was at the feeders in Central Park, when a ten-year old boy and his grandmother came along. He was carrying a a Gallilean binocular, a Christmas gift, and came from Washington, D.C. I purposely took time to point out all the birds, there. Apparently, he saw a lot of unfamiliar birds, including a red bellied woodpecker, fox sparrows and a pair of Baltimore Orioles. I even let him look through my prismatic binocular, a Meopta.

I thought that nothing was more important than encouraging the youngster. Certainly, it was more important than finding another bird.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I always had an interest in birds, thanks to my grandpa. I still have the Golden Field Guide published in the 70's that he gave me before he passed.

But, a high school teacher really helped bring it all to life for me. Everyone else thought he was a nut-case; bringing out the taxidermy'd birds and waving them in the air, whistling their calls "what was that one? Can you identify it?" I was intrigued while others chuckled. He brought us on trips to wildlife sanctuaries and local marshes. It was great.

I hated school, but Mr. LaCourse and the birds got me through.

Birds are free, beautiful and majestic...one thing that everyone longs to be. The more kids that are given the chance to love and appreciate that, the better. It's very important, I believe. Good job!! I'm sure you helped that little boy more than you know!
:)

I always had an interest in birds, thanks to my grandpa. I still have the Golden Field Guide published in the 70's that he gave me before he passed.

But, a high school teacher really helped bring it all to life for me. . Good job!! I'm sure you helped that little boy more than you know!
:)

Hello Toad,

Mr. LaCourse and your grandfather deserve a lot of credit. As a former educator, I understood that youngsters need to explore what is of interest to them. Learning how to learn opens more opportunities.
Incidentally, the grandmother realized how unusual was my lending the binoculars to the boy.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back