• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Santa Cruz Island and the Island Scrub Jay (1 Viewer)

calbirder

riparian woodser
I took a backpacking trip with my college to Santa Cruz Island this past weekend. Santa Cruz is located about 20 miles off the coast of Ventura in Southern California. I had been on the lookout for the jay as this is the only place in the world it can be found and I was not about to let the opportunity slip by. I saw the island fox, dolphins, an array of hummers and sparrows, but no jay.

On the last hike, on the way out, I heard the jay. It sounded different then the usual Western's I'm used to hearing, but nontheless was the sound of a Jay. And then there it was...flying across the canyon about 30 ft down from where I was hiking. Even from that distance I could see the larger size and darker blue of the island jay compared to the western. Yes! Now I can add it to the list, and I encourage anybody who lives near the area or visits to check out the island

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back