• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbill uk (1 Viewer)

eagle33

Craig Shaw
This bird looked massive next to all the other Common Crossbills i was watching, (very bull necked) what do others think or is this just a large Common Crossbill. The lower mandale maybe looks a little long for anything other than common?

Thanks All.

Attachments

• big crossbill.jpg
    big crossbill.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
well if it was noticeably chunkier than the rest then it is a Parrot candidiate but hard to say much from these pics as it is a little out of focus and munching a seed.

Rob

2 others plus 1 of the Common Crossbills.

Attachments

• DSCN5986.jpg
    DSCN5986.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCN5985.jpg
    DSCN5985.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Crossbill.jpg
    Crossbill.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 275
Sorry, but not sure you would be able to make a convincing argument for a Parrot from these pics.

The bird does look chunky, but thats all I can make out. The impression of a large bill may just be because it's eating and blurry?

I think this is a case of perhaps taking notes (even mental ones) instead of pics, may have given you the view you needed to clinch the id?

Too true dougie, usually take mental notes but on this occasion i was taking pic of common crossbill when i saw this bird and thought god thats big so started taking pics then it flew away, typical.
Probably a case of the one that got away.

Last edited:
Hi Dan whinlatter forest park in Cumbria!

Nice- assumed it would be somewhere in Cumbria. Not gonna comment on the ID myself, I can't add much else than those above me, do you have anymoroe pics of a Common for comparison? With the movements of Parrots on the continent an influx was on the cards, so it would be hardly surprising if it was a Parrot. My biggest British tart so here's hoping!!!

D

just this one dan, light was too poor and so i just gave up.

Common Crossbill

Attachments

• Crossbill1.jpg
    Crossbill1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Hi Dan whinlatter forest park in Cumbria!

Hi Craig,

Whinlatter is only a few miles from me. Will go walking there tomorrow to walk off my expected hangover. Can you narrow the area down a little using the visitor's centre as a direction signpost?

Thanks
Derek

Hi Craig,

Whinlatter is only a few miles from me. Will go walking there tomorrow to walk off my expected hangover. Can you narrow the area down a little using the visitor's centre as a direction signpost?

Thanks
Derek

Hi Derek have a coffee out side the visitor center. The crossbills were in the trees over looking the car park.
Good Luck

The bill looks quite big, but on the best picture it is slightly open I guess. I saw a bird approaching this yesterday in a flock of Common Crossbills while waiting for Parrot Crossbills, which got me a bit excited.
However, when the real Parrot Crossbills arrived, their thick necks and huge bills were really obvious. Being careful, I would consider it a heavy-billed Common (also because it's in a spruce...)

The bill looks quite big, but on the best picture it is slightly open I guess. I saw a bird approaching this yesterday in a flock of Common Crossbills while waiting for Parrot Crossbills, which got me a bit excited.
However, when the real Parrot Crossbills arrived, their thick necks and huge bills were really obvious. Being careful, I would consider it a heavy-billed Common (also because it's in a spruce...)

You weren't waiting for a Parrot in Essex were you?

What difference does it being in a spruce make?

What difference does it being in a spruce make?

Parrot Crossbills tend to favour (and specialize) on Scots Pine. However, I have had them on Norway Spruce many times in Scotland and I believe this is also the norm in Fenno-scandia.

Lindsay

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back