• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 was on my bucket list. (1 Viewer)

Hi guys! I was just wondering which 7x42 Dialyt version is the most advanced/modern? The long line of letters after the bin's name confuse|:S| me...

Simplest way to look at the production period is, T* (no P) is the older model, then T*P Made in West Germany. Finally T*P Made in Germany.

Here is the Zeiss lineup for 1984. Note that there is no reference to "Classic," and none were P-coated. The later P and P* models have armored axels with two ribs. I own and use the P-model. Very nice, but not as bright at the current 8x42 SLC-HD, and with slightly smaller AFOV (~60˚). I don't know where the "immersive" quality comes from, but that's a subjective reaction. Mine is a keeper.

Ed

Ed,
not quite the full line up the 8x30 is not illustrated, nor the 8x20 which was a smaller version of the 8x20 rather than a "compact" design. There was also a design change around that time in the 8x and 10x Dialyts, consequently they were being advertised as the "closer focussing Dialyts". The close focussing distance for the 10x improved from 7 metres to 5 metres. I purchased mine in June 1986, not too long after the change.

Dear all,
For those who are interested in the discovery and the cure of phase problems in roof prisms and how to cure them, read:
G. Joos, Zeiss nachrichten 4, heft 9, page 221-227, 1943 entitled; "Die Bildverschlechterung durch Dachprismen und ihre Behebung". It describes how the phase problem occurs and how to cure it.
In a paper already mentioned on this forum is described how phase-correctd roof prisms can be made and how the presence of the coating can be tested read: Adolf Weyrauch and Dr. Bernd Dörband, Deutsche Optikerzeitung nr. 4, 1988, "P-Coating: optimized image quality for binoculars using phase-correctd coatings". In that same year Zeiss introduced the first roof prism binoculars with P-coating.
Gijs

Here is the Zeiss lineup for 1984. Note that there is no reference to "Classic," and none were P-coated. The later P and P* models have armored axels with two ribs...

The design/shape of the hinge end-cap, especially the one between the oculars, also changed substantially with the addition of phase coating, and the markings on it subsequently changed several times over the production life of the 7x42.

--AP

For those who are interested in the discovery and the cure of phase problems in roof prisms and how to cure them, read:
G. Joos, Zeiss nachrichten 4, heft 9, page 221-227, 1943 entitled; "Die Bildverschlechterung durch Dachprismen und ihre Behebung". It describes how the phase problem occurs and how to cure it.
In a paper already mentioned on this forum is described how phase-correctd roof prisms can be made and how the presence of the coating can be tested read: Adolf Weyrauch and Dr. Bernd Dörband, Deutsche Optikerzeitung nr. 4, 1988, "P-Coating: optimized image quality for binoculars using phase-correctd coatings". In that same year Zeiss introduced the first roof prism binoculars with P-coating.

Especially the second article is essential reading IMO if you're interested in roof prism binoculars.

By the way, I'd be interested in is some detailed information on the efficiency of phase-coatings. So far I couldn't find any.

Hermann

Brock, I would be lying if I said I could remember much about the colour of the Dialyt's view, but I do still retain the memory of the ease of view.

HT is a definite step up in the red compared with FL, but I haven't A/B'd SF and HT yet.

Lee

If I recall the curves that Gijs posted for the FL and HT correctly, the HT's curve went a bit farther out in the red before dropping off, but on the whole the curves were similar, with the entire range boosted a few percent for the HT.

The SF's price puts them in dreamland for me, the A/B I would like to see is the Maven B2 vs. the Zeiss HT. From what Steve C. reported, the B2 could be an HT killer. However, I think Zeiss has little to worry about since Maven is a new company, and unless the B2s get in the hands of a lot of high-profile reviewers who all give the bin two thumbs up, HT sales aren't going to feel any pain.

The penny pinchers who opt for the Maven probably wouldn't have spent over two grand on an HT to begin with, but would have bought a Conquest HD or some other second tier competitor.

None-the-less, being a member of the op(press)ed, I always root for the Underdog.

"Never Fear, Underdog is Here."

Last edited:
Hi all
I have had two 7x42 Dialyts: the first still from the West Germany production (1990), the second (2004) belonged to the late version (ClassiC).
Both were outstanding pieces of optics and I did really love them: I used mostly in hawkwatching and the huge FOW of it was the most important and valued feature for me. No eye fatiguing at all, despite hours and days of intense sky-scanning.
I found that the eye relief, as far as I remember, was very good without being great (I am a spectacle wearer): balance was excellent, handling was good, but the hard rubber armouring seemed to me to be a bit stiff during long-lasting observations.
In short, a lovely binocular.
I changed them in 2009 only for A Victory 7x42 FL; in neither case I had problems in selling them as secondhand equipment. In an optical store -across an entire afternoon- I had the opportunity to compare and test my Dialyts 7x42 against all the European 7xs (Meopta, Swarovski, Leica, Optolyth). The only models I found to be optically superior to my old Dialyts were the Leica 7x42 HD Ultravids and the Victory 7x42 FL: the choice was very difficult however, but finally I went for the Victorys for the slightly wider FOW (always important in raptor migration counts) and for a subjective feeling of more comfort to my eyglasses with the Zeisses.

... The later P and P* models have armored axels with two ribs. I own and use the P-model. ...

Ed

The design/shape of the hinge end-cap, especially the one between the oculars, also changed substantially with the addition of phase coating, and the markings on it subsequently changed several times over the production life of the 7x42.

--AP

The second distinctive feature is comprehensible. But I don't understand the first one. Probably especially due to the fact that English is not my native language.

I really don't care what you think of my selling and trading binoculars. It is my business what I do.

You don't care but you create a topic on BF and use every single one of us as a straw man to boost the reputation of binoculars you are selling.

Your intentions are no good and easy to predict. I was already wondering from your first post if you actually were praising binoculars because they were good, or (as clearly is the case) you praise them because you sell them.

You have a hidden agenda and are abusing the trust and effort that people share in this forum.

You don't care but you create a topic on BF and use every single one of us as a straw man to boost the reputation of binoculars you are selling.

Your intentions are no good and easy to predict. I was already wondering from your first post if you actually were praising binoculars because they were good, or (as clearly is the case) you praise them because you sell them.

You have a hidden agenda and are abusing the trust and effort that people share in this forum.
I have no hidden agenda. I am selling the Dialyt's for less than I paid for them. I just like to try binoculars.

WOW. These are fantastic binoculars even if they weren't 20 years old. Huge comfortable FOV and very bright. I can't describe how easy the view is on these. Very sharp on-axis with a slight drop off at the edge that is not as noticeable as say the Nikon 8x30 EII. Huge sweet spot makes for an excellent binocular for scanning wide areas quickly. Incredible DOF with the 7x and very easy to hold steady. If you could summarize these binoculars in one word it would be "EASY!" Easy to use and an easy view. The 6mm exit pupil I am sure plays a part in that. I was amazed how easy I could pick up tons of warblers in some dense shrubbery on my birding outing today. I don't see much CA and I think it is due to the longer FL. Zeiss really hit a home run when they made these. The new FL's,HT"s and SF's are not built like these. They are trying to make them lighter and I think they might be getting to fragile. As they say they don't build them like this anymore. That is why these are in such demand and despite being long in the tooth they still have a lot of bite and fetch almost as much as an alpha on Ebay.

It just would be good style if you wouldn't disguise your post as a review but mark it as what it is: advertisement.

It just would be good style if you wouldn't disguise your post as a review but mark it as what it is: advertisement.

Down here the VAT Administration follows E-bay and when you have more than 3 deals in a year and "forget" to mention it on your fiscal account you're F....

So there is hope and justice after all.

Jan

Down here the VAT Administration follows E-bay and when you have more than 3 deals in a year and "forget" to mention it on your fiscal account you're F....

So there is hope and justice after all.

Jan

So you want Dennis to go to jail? That's a bit harsh even for you Jan! ;)

The second distinctive feature is comprehensible. But I don't understand the first one. Probably especially due to the fact that English is not my native language.

Hi Elmer,

I've attached a picture of my 7x42's axle with two cross-ribs. From what I understand, all P and P* models look this way. T*-only models look like Dennis' purchase. There could be exceptions for late model T*-only specimens, of course, but I've found this to be a good guide. Mine is s/n 399805, marked T*P. I've also looked at two or three T*P* and couldn't find an image difference. So, I prefer to keep the original P model.

Ed
PS. Renze de Vries pointed this out to me before I bought mine. He's the expert.
PPS. Nay, Renze found them for me. It pays to have friends.
PPPS. Oops, didn't see LPT's post #50. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• Zeiss 7x42 Axel ribs.JPG
    Zeiss 7x42 Axel ribs.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Ed,
not quite the full line up the 8x30 is not illustrated, nor the 8x20 which was a smaller version of the 8x20 rather than a "compact" design. There was also a design change around that time in the 8x and 10x Dialyts, consequently they were being advertised as the "closer focussing Dialyts". The close focussing distance for the 10x improved from 7 metres to 5 metres. I purchased mine in June 1986, not too long after the change.

Robert,

Very true, it's not the whole lineup, just part of it. Don't forget the compact 6x20, though. ;)

Ed

Hi Elmer,

Mine is s/n 399805, marked T*P. I've also looked at two or three T*P* and couldn't find an image difference. So, I prefer to keep the original P model.

Ed
/QUOTE]

Ed

There is no difference between P and P* coatings. The P was only changed to P* so that it had commonality with T*.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back