• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow like bird with red/orange beak - Aberdeen (1 Viewer)

TheSeagull

Hi,
I seen a Carrion Crow sized and coloured bird the other day in a built up urban area but it had a reddishy orangy beak, I couldn't see it's legs but there couldn't possibly be a Chough in an urban area in Aberdeen could there? Is there some sort of condition that can cause this in a Carrion Crow?

It would be highly unikely to have been a Chough as I don't think there has ever been a Chough in Aberdeenshire. Could it possibly have been a Carrion Crow with a stained beak?

It would be highly unikely to have been a Chough as I don't think there has ever been a Chough in Aberdeenshire. Could it possibly have been a Carrion Crow with a stained beak?

Yes, it certainly looked like a Carrion Crow with a different coloured beak, I don't know how it could have got it though.

A chough doesn't really look like a crow with a red bill!

........maybe be it's been eating raspberries.... or it has been known for scavengers like crows and gulls to find a old paint tin and have a rummage around.. stranger things have happened!!

The clue could be in the name! Carrion Crow. Perhaps its bill was bloodstained from some dead animal it had been feeding on - roadkill bunny or fox or something.;)

what are you saying guys.
this is red billed crow that it is full of that in my country
see this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-billed_Chough
and i have one in my yard and they are very clever and so big!

Welcome to the forum mega_x.

Yes, red-billed choughs live in Iran but they don't live in Aberdeen in Scotland. They are very sedentary in the British Isles, rarely being seen outside their breeding range here.

I don't know if any Red-billed Cough are kept in captivity, they used to be. If they are, then the possibility of an escape can't be dismissed. Is there any chance of getting a photo? It'd be fairly straightforward to ID it then.

Chris

I don't know if any Red-billed Cough are kept in captivity, they used to be. If they are, then the possibility of an escape can't be dismissed. Is there any chance of getting a photo? It'd be fairly straightforward to ID it then.

Chris

Unlikely that there's a photo now, seeing that this thread was started (and put to bed first time round) in 2009...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back